Tuesday, June 12, 2007

JUNE UPDATE

It was a great day at the Busselton Half Ironman and congratulations to everyone who raced! It was so exciting for me to see my girlfriend Bec Halliday and my brother Michael cross the finish line for their first Half Ironman Medallions. I was also initiated into the world of commentary and now can fully appreciate those who commentate for 17+ hours for an Ironman. I was involved for 8 hours and the throat was a little sore the next day but I loved it! I hope I will have the opportunity to do it again.

So after 4 weeks of R and R I am back into full training. It is always a challenge to start again as it would be nice to begin at the level I was at when I raced Ironman Australia. But a short, sharp 17km ATTA Time Trial in Shenton Park reminded me that was not to be! I was hurting!

The next day however, I was brought back to reality when Mark Kay rang to tell me that Brad Lane had lost his battle with cancer. From the humble beginnings of Southside Triathlon Club to the Hawaii Ironman and Alii Drive in 2004, Brad was an inspiration to so many. This was made even more evident on Saturday when the masses flocked to celebrate his life. A friend of Brad’s read a message that has stuck in my mind since, it stated that we all die, but not all of us live!

Brad had lived and we must make sure we do the same!

RIP Brad!
KT :o)