After 48 hours of travelling I have finally made it to Boulder. It was an adventure in itself just getting here. I guess that is what happens when you book your flight on points!
I left Perth on Tuesday night and the first leg was 10 hours to Tokyo. My 6 hour stop over in Tokyo became a delayed 7 hours before I was finally on another 10 hour trip to LA. After clearing customs in LA it was another 7 hours later that I boarded my last flight to Denver, a very short 2 hours!
After arriving in Denver and realising the airport trolleys are not made for bike cases I hired a car and began the 60 minute drive to Boulder. Three tolls later and a continous reminder to myself to stay on the right hand side of the road, I had found my street but in the pitch black (it was 1am!) I was struggling to find the numbers on the buildings. Plus, 11th street where I was to be located was made up of a number of dead ends, one way streets and I was completely lost! By 2.30am I was laying on my bed, finally, and wondering what on earth I had gotten myself in to!
As the sun came up and I realised I was struggling to sleep I went for a walk through the Pearl St mall and found a small cafe for breakfast. Things always seem alot better during the day and I was sorrounded by the mountains and Boulder Creek. Heaven for any outdoors type of person.
Food shopping was the first port of call and there was no shortage of fresh, organic fruit, vegetables, you name it, to be found!
It has not been quite 48 hours yet, but I can definately feel the effects of a little bit of jet lag and the alltitude.
Today was my first swim squad training session with Siri Lindley and it was strange not starting at 5.30am. A more leisurely 12pm is the training time! Everything they say about her is true! She is extremely friendly and encouraging and was conscious of how I was feeling after the recent travels. I got to do more of an aerobic set while the other girls had to flog it out on a swim/bike turbo session. The challenge is improving my swim times over the coming months!
Tomorrow morning will be the first cycle in the moutains and the big question is which way to go? There are so many options but all of them up! I only have to ride for 10 minutes and the incline changes. A little bit different from riding in Perth!!
With termperatures in the 30's the days are gorgeous and I am looking forward to exploring everything Boulder has to offer!
Train Safe
KT :o)