Tuesday, August 7, 2007

THE BIG 3-0!

I must admit this was the first birthday in my entire life I was going to be spending away from my family and friends. I spent a year overseas on a teacher exchange in Vancouver a couple of years ago but funny enough I left the day after my birthday and was back a week before my birthday the following year.

It was on a Saturday so I knew it was going to be a big day of training, afternoon nap and then I would be quite happy to enjoy a glass of wine and sushi in front of the T.V. But I was to be pleasantly surprised!

I ended up enjoying the celebrations over at least 6 days. So it would be the longest birthday I have had! The day before (in Boulder) it was great to hear from family and friends calling me, as it was the 4th in Australia but not yet in the USA. My mum and brother sang happy birthday to me on the phone, which was a big effort for my brother Blake as early mornings are not his thing! (I must also mention now, CONGRATULATIONS!!! to my brother Blake who just got engaged to his girlfriend, Robbie, in Rome! How romantic!)

Early Saturday morning I was up leaving by 5.30am for my long ride and the family were messaging again as I tackled the first mountain.

There was a run off the bike so it was a long day but I am beginning to enjoy the afternoon siestas!

Now, a week before my birthday I had gone out for what I thought was going to be a quite dinner with the great group of girls I do my swimming training with and a group of guys who train at the same time. It began as expected but soon turned into a very long night visiting a number of the local Boulder “watering holes”. It reminded me a lot of a Sunday session in Perth on a summer’s day! It was a great opportunity to meet some fantastic people, all with similar interests and I was made to feel part of the group right from the start.

So I shouldn’t have been surprised that a week later on the Saturday night of my birthday there they were, all again, helping me celebrate. I enjoyed some yummy Salmon at Jax Fish House and a small birthday cake had also been arranged! I was totally overwhelmed! Thanks John, for organizing everything! It will be a birthday to remember!

I also received this fantastic poem from a friend of mine and thought it was definitely worth a mention here:

Ode to the birthday girl

From the sea to transition with a spring in her stride,
On the back of a two-wheeled steed she will ride,
One-eighty k's in the midday sun,
To bring it all home with her favourite, the run.

A cap and some water to keep her rig cool,
Loads of carbs, a banana - oh so many kilojoules!
With a wave to the crowd, her support for the day,
In under 10 hours, her Kona crown, a flower lei.

An inspiring type, with a grin ear-to-ear,
Putting dreams to the front and all fear to the rear.
From Willetton to Forster and everywhere in between,
Happy birthday Kate (and still only 16!)

Since then I have traveled to Vancouver for a quick 4-day visit to catch up with friends. Harbinder and Steve and gorgeous little Maddison who is less than 4 months old. Dinner with Rhonda and Tony is always great and I wish them both the best of luck for Ironman Canada in a few weeks. It is going to be a great day! And just to prove what a small world it is … my brother’s fiancĂ©’s sister and her husband live in Vancouver! So realizing we are going to be family soon, I met them for the first time and we exchanged some funny stories of our families. I am sure plenty more will come out in due course.

I finally found myself enjoying some R and R before my next Half Ironman on Sunday. It is going to be a hot one with 37 degrees the expected temperature. Perfect training for Hawaii! (So I keep telling myself!)

I finally feel like I have settled down here now and established a regular routine. I have a list of great places to ride and run and now how to get around. I don’t get lost traveling to swimming training anymore although I am losing count of the laps in a 25m pool.

I am still finding it tough training at altitude. Usually with anything at high intensity. Aerobic workouts are fine but anything above 85-90% and I find myself struggling to breathe.

Apparently it takes about 3- 4 weeks to become accustomed to this so there will be some added challenges for race day on Sunday! Bring It On!!

Happy Training
KT :o)