It is always great to visit so many wonderful places around the world and I had been on the go for 4 months, which is a long time for me! But nothing beats coming home to Perth, especially in summer! I enjoyed a good 2 weeks of “nothing” following Kona and this gave me plenty of time to catch up with friends as well as allowing the body to recover physically and mentally after the last year of racing. It was a little bit on the cool side when I first got home but after a 40 degree day and the next week in the mid to high 30’s open water swimming in the ocean is glorious!
Last weekend was a busy one in the “Bevilaqua” household as 80 people came over on Saturday night for my brother’s engagement party. It was a cocktail party and a fantastic excuse to get all dressed up and even enjoy a few “Champagne Cocktails”! The next morning however, was a pleasant reminder of how training, lack of sleep and a few drinks do not go well together!
The last few weeks have been basic endurance work swimming, cycling and running while I got rid of all the aches and pains and the body slowly remembered what it was like to work hard again. I feel so much better now and I hate to admit that all the racing and training is normal for me now and when I am not doing it I just feel “Yuck!”
So what now?
I am excited about being involved next weekend at Ironman Western Australia as a commentator. So anyone out there who is racing and has an interesting story to tell, please e-mail it through to me over the next week because I would love to hear it! The more I can talk about the locals the better!
Racing? I am going to travel to New Zealand on January 1st for the Port of Tauranga Half Ironman as a lead up to Ironman New Zealand in March. I will compete in some local cycle time trials and triathlon events in between. It looks like a very exciting summer!
See you in Busso!
K