Monday, March 31, 2008

CAMP CONQUER 2008

While most enjoyed some R and R and plenty of chocolate over the Easter long weekend, a dedicated group of triathlete's took on the challenge of Camp Conquer for 2008. (it was later to be renamed "Camp Harden Up!" by some).

Our base in Donnelly River was the perfect location as we were secluded from all the luxuries of day to day life. No radio, no phone or phone service, no T.V. but plenty of company with the kangaroo's and emu's eager to share our meals. Back doors had to be shut and locked as they have mastered the task of entering the kitchen!

There was little time for pondering what else you could be doing with some fantastic swimming, cycling and running over the local terrain.

With cooler temperatures in the south, even a little spot of rain, it was ideal training conditions. The rolling hills of Donnelly River to Bridgetown, Nannup and back provided the ideal challenge coupled with running on the Bibbulmun track.

Although I was officially not back into full training I was unable to resist a cycle and run in such a spectacular location. I did feel a little guilty however, when the "sag" car Budgie was driving picked me up in Nannup because that was far enough for the time being. Everyone then faced the nasty climb out of town while I made a coffee stop!!

Sunday was race day and bike racks (find a good tree!!) and transition areas were set up in the dark. As soon as the sun was up the race was on! By the time everyone had returned from the bike leg, Budgie had turned the run into an Adventure race with logs and obstacles scattered along the course. Disobeying the course rules resulting in a culmination of push ups and other physical activities. Watch out for next time, he has more crazy ideas!!

After dinner in Bridgetown and a few glasses of wine, monday morning most were a quite tired and sore but pushed through the long run to achieve what they never thought possible!
Congratulations to everyone who came on the camp! As much as it was a positive experience for you all, it is for me too! I found it so motivational and inspiring to watch everyone of you achieve little goals along the way and I know come May or December, or whenever your next race will be, you will be ready!!

For those who thought about it and didn't come, why not?

The next camp will be in October so register your interest with me now by sending an e-mail!

See you in Busso!

No, I won't be racing, I will be the rose between two thorns on the microphone!!