Monday, April 21, 2008

BACK TO WORK!

My time off has been and gone and it is back to the normal routine of eating, sleeping and training! There is also a bit of work happening at the moment and I continue to lecture at UWA. It has been great and I am enjoying the change from kids to adults. Plus the fact these guys want to be here! They have chosen a career path and take on board everything you say.

It is always a little difficult getting back into training after some time off. Swimming is not so bad and the easy cycles around the river are quite enjoyable. It is those first couple of runs after and Ironman when the legs hurt and it takes a week to flush out that "heavy" feeling. A couple of weeks ago we were due for a bit of a down pour of rain on the Saturday morning so most of the guys I normal ride with had decided to do their own things. I got up early and left home on my own by 5.30am. It was a great morning, no rain (although it was dark so I couldn't see the sky!) Within 30 minutes it bucketed down! It absolutely poured and it didn't stop all morning! I only had a 3 hour ride but it felt like forever in those conditions. The good thing was it wasn't cold!
It was during this ride I noticed a bit of a twinge in my right VMO, but didn't think too much of it! A few days passed and I went for another ride and it hurt!! The ride was definitely not happening! I am someone who avoids the doctor, avoids the physio as much as possible! But this was too hard to ignore! Thankfully after only 2 physio trips and plenty of ice all is back to normal just in time for the hard stuff to begin prior to my next half ironman. I don't know what was harder to deal with, the injury, or the mental/mind games of missing a session or not doing it at the effort I should be!!

So I am off to Margaret River this weekend, my favourite getaway! An opportunity to run along trails and ride through the forest rather than the city! Swim in the ocean! Maybe even a sleep in or two!!

Enjoy your taper, for those doing the Busso Half!

Happy Training!
KT