There is no denying that Kona and the surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful in the world! This is my 4th trip to the Island and it is great that mum and I are still doing different things every time we come! It is so easy to just get caught up in the race and hibernate for the week but I am so lucky to visit some amazing places that have to be seen! Who knows if I will ever be back! (although I plan on coming back and back and back again to Kona!!)
We have taken a trip to the Macadamia Nut factory,the Kona Candy Company and eaten at some new places. We visited the historical Kona Hotel (Robbie, you would have loved it, it was bright pink!) and we have even made a list for next time!
Yesterday mum and I picked up my brother Michael, his wife Ang and their daughter Ella who have been in Honolulu on holidays. They are here just for the race and then we will all fly together back to Honolulu for some R and R!
The days have been nice and hot, although not quite as warm as October and the winds seem to have picked up today which is great, perfect training for October! The afternoon brings some dark clouds which originally I thought were rain clouds but since have learnt it is what they refer to as "Vog". The volcano on the otherside of the island erupted in March and continues to smoke. The afternoon winds blow the ash and smokeacross to this side of the island. I have some great photo's which I will post shortly!
The family have taken a trip to Home Depot and Kona for some shopping while I organise everything for check in today. The separate bike and run transitions makes things interesting. I feel alot better today after catching up on my sleep and enjoying a local massage on Wednesday!
I am ready to race!!!
KT