After having such a successful start to the year with both of my races in New Zealand, so much had been going through my mind in the last few weeks! Was it a fluke? Could I perform like that again? I want to improve and learn with every experience and aim at being consistent. Yes, I know there will be days that this won't necessarily happen but I will deal with those when they happen. That is life I guess, you deal with it as it comes and make the most of every opportunity. I was concerned about my build to the half as I started with a little injury (which has completely gone now!!) and I was sick for a week. But come race day and the start of the cannon, all of that is forgotten and it is go, go, go!
I had a few goals for the race which included swimming hard and fast, for me anyway! I need to toughen up at the start. My nutrition was also a focus. It will be so important to get it right come October because there is no hiding out on the Queen K. Finally, just the experience and opportunity to race on the Ironman course again. Up to Hawi, feel the wind and make it my friend. The race was a success as I met all of these goals!
The swim was a mass start and yes I got punched, kicked and dumped, but it didn't get to me. I regrouped every time and swum hard again. I was in a great pack for 3/4 of the swim before it split in 2 and unfortunately I lost the pack in front. (not to self for next time - work my butt off to stick with the pack!)
Out of the water and onto the bike it took me a little while to get into it. I told myself to be patient and the legs would come good. I focused on my nutrition and let the wind just blow me around rather than fighting it and felt quite comfortable. After turning just prior to Hawii I put the head down and tried to pick up the pace to limit as much of the time gap as I could to the girls in front. I knew they were riding strong and was hoping the legs would be there for the run!
Running through transition my brother was yelling the splits to me, I was over 5 minutes down on the lead and 3 minutes to 3rd. I was going to have to go as hard as I could.
What a run!! You name it, the Honu run has it! With a speedy transition, and unfortunately no socks I found myself running through black sand, over the golf course, along the beach, turning left, turning right with a final long straight stretch out and back.
At the first opportunity I could I checked the splits and I wasn't making any ground. Then it seemed like ages at least 40-45minutes before I was able to check again and the gap had come down but only to 1.30. It wasn't until the final long straight out and back I could see the girl in front and I had to go. I had to finish as hard and as strong as I could.
I had read some advice the day before of thinking that the finish line is 100m further away than it actually is so you run hard and fast all the way through. I had that in mind and once I made the pass into 3rd I wanted to keep going and try and catch second but I ran out of time. The finish line had come too soon. It was "high 5's" to mum, michael and Ang as I came across the line.
Once I stopped, ouch! it hurt! But mission accomplished. I had got so much more out of the race than I had anticipated and with the fastest run of the day, it is encouraging to know I am closing the gap.
Now I am enjoying some lazy days in Honolulu, laying on the beach, even a few cocktails at sunset!
Once I return back to Perth, it all begins! My focus will shift to Hawaii and the magic that competing in the 30th Anniversary of the race will bring!
Train Safe!
KT
P.S. Thanks so much to Kelly at Swish Design for such an awesome job on the new website!! I love it and I hope you will find it easier now to keep up to date with everything that is going on!