I have just returned from a fantastic weekend in Karratha full of fun, food, plenty of sightseeing oh, and a short course race!
On arrival on Friday night to the mining town my cousin Wesley was holding a sign to greet us which read "Wiz Bang Tours - The Griswalds!" He could only be looking for mum, dad and I! After we had to wait for the next flight from Perth to arrive because mum and Dad's bag was not on our flight we finally made it to his home for the last 3 years and were greeted with 5 star service including towels on the end of the bed and a pair of thongs! Unfortunately, dad had a pair of Dockers Slippers at the end of his bed which he refused to wear but when the Eagles were defeated on the weekend and the Freo Dockers came away with a win, he was made to eat his words and had them on, briefly!!
Saturday morning began early with a ride. Wes and I started out at 6am towards Roebourne and by 7.30am we met up with the group and continued to ride with them to there final destination of the Jamican Blue Cafe. Here, we met up with my mum and dad and wesley's parents (my aunty Janice and Uncle Neil) for a yummy breakfast. It was then full steam ahead with "Wiz Bang Tours" and sightseeing from Karratha, to Roebourne Wickam and Cossack and the Prison where Wesley works, although I couldn't spend too long there as photo's were not allowed! By lunch time we had made it to Point Samson where we enjoyed some fantastic seafood overlooking the rugged beauty of the coastline.
From the afternoon feed we made our way back to Karratha to the local pool where I gave a small presentation to some keen local triathletes about training, racing, nutrition and my life so far as a professional triathlete. I really enjoyed this and hoped I was able to help them out with the information they were looking for. There was just enough time for a trip to the shops before another seafood feast at Wesley's house and an early night before the Dampier Triathlon the next morning.
Stay tuned tomorrow for the full report on a fantastic race in Dampier run by the Nickol Bay Triathlon Club and and why you should consider doing it next year!!