The day before the big event I held a information session on racing, training, nutrition and life as a professional triathlete. It was great to meet some of the locals and I even got to sign a few autographs!!
Sunday morning didn't seem such an early rise as usual. The race was not starting until 8am and there wasn't as much to organise like before a Half or a Ironman. Nor could I unfortunately justify a lot of eating for such a short race! It was a 1km swim, 24km cycle and 7.4km run. They had changed the course slightly this year, with the run going along the coast. This made it very scenic and showed off the best of what Dampier has to offer.Below is the transition area all set up ready to go for the short and long course competitors. I arrived early with Wesley and while he set up had the opportunity to ride a lap of the course so I knew where I was going!
My plan was to push hard in the swim as I really need to work this area and the 1km time trial would be a great opportunity. I sat on Wesley's feet for the first half and then thought it was my turn to do some work so picked up the pace on the way back in to shore. While we were swimming the heavens had opened and the threatening black sky was dumping a lot of rain. This made some of the corners of the bike course quite dangerous. So although I was trying to go hard I was very cautious on the turns. The cycle was 4 laps of 6km. After exiting the water first (a position I have never been in before!) I thought it wouldn't be long before some of the guys caught me on the bike. My aim was to hold this off as long as possible! By the end of the 4th lap Dyson was right on my tail and although he entered transition after me, my Ironman like bike to run transition was left for dead and he raced out onto the run.
For the first 1.5km I thought I was barely hanging on and if the pace was going to continue like this I was never going to be able to hold it. But I settled into my groove and on the return journey of the first lap we were running side by side. There was no so called "pressure" going into the race until I ran past cousin Wes heading in the opposite direction and his passing comment was "do it for the family!". Bugger, it was on!
I was able to stay strong and keep the cadence up for the remainder of the run crossing the finish line with just over a minute to spare. What a work out!
I had a fantastic time in Karratha last weekend and the Nickol Bay Triathlon Club ran an awesome event considering there are only 5 committee members!
My plan was to push hard in the swim as I really need to work this area and the 1km time trial would be a great opportunity. I sat on Wesley's feet for the first half and then thought it was my turn to do some work so picked up the pace on the way back in to shore. While we were swimming the heavens had opened and the threatening black sky was dumping a lot of rain. This made some of the corners of the bike course quite dangerous. So although I was trying to go hard I was very cautious on the turns. The cycle was 4 laps of 6km. After exiting the water first (a position I have never been in before!) I thought it wouldn't be long before some of the guys caught me on the bike. My aim was to hold this off as long as possible! By the end of the 4th lap Dyson was right on my tail and although he entered transition after me, my Ironman like bike to run transition was left for dead and he raced out onto the run.
For the first 1.5km I thought I was barely hanging on and if the pace was going to continue like this I was never going to be able to hold it. But I settled into my groove and on the return journey of the first lap we were running side by side. There was no so called "pressure" going into the race until I ran past cousin Wes heading in the opposite direction and his passing comment was "do it for the family!". Bugger, it was on!
I was able to stay strong and keep the cadence up for the remainder of the run crossing the finish line with just over a minute to spare. What a work out!
I had a fantastic time in Karratha last weekend and the Nickol Bay Triathlon Club ran an awesome event considering there are only 5 committee members! A big thank you to Mark Blayney and the opportunity to come to Dampier and race. It was great! www.carrcivil.com.au
To Wesley and Wiz Bang Tours!! The one and only!
To mum, dad, aunty janice and uncle neil for there support, cheering, spectating and volunteering! And Uncle Neil, I know we went to check out some fantastic Aboriginal Art but this does not mean you have to go "walkabout!". Next time we will have to make sure there is more "Beer" is the esky!