Sunday, June 8, 2008

Home Sweet Home....Finally!

I thought the trip getting to the USA was full of drama's! I was wrong! Who would have thought traveling home could have topped that!
After relaxing for 5 days in Honolulu, taking in the sun, surf, Pina Colada's and lots of shopping it was unfortunately time to pack the suitcase and return home to Perth. We had been surprised on the final night with an awesome fireworks display across Waikiki which we could see so clearly from out balcony. 
It was an early rise and drive to the airport and we were all checked in by 7am only to find out the plane had been delayed by 3 hours! No problem, we still might be able to make our connecting flight in Sydney. 3 1/2 hours later we were on our way, however, strong head winds meant our flight time had been pushed out to 11 hours and the chances of getting home by Friday night were looking very slim!
On arriving into Sydney, we were told we could still make the final flight to Perth that night if we hurried! I am sure we were attracting plenty of attention as we ran through the airport!
A professional athlete hobbling along with blistered feet pulling a bike case, my mother pushing a trolley with 2 suitcases and a wheel bag, my bother thinking he was balanced with bags on both arms and a 2 year old holding on tightly and his pregnant wife also pushing a trolley! It is not surprising that my family has been referred to on a number of occasions as the "Griswalds!" We are the Aussie version!
We made it to check in at Sydney with what we thought was plenty of time to spare, only to be informed we were too late! Bugger!! I was not making it home on Friday night!
We were put up in an airport hotel for a few hours sleep and awoke early again Saturday morning for a the final leg of the journey to Perth! 
Dad met us at the airport Saturday afternoon and nothing is better than arriving home with the sun shinning on a beautiful winters day! (although I did find it a little bit chilly after the last few weeks in Hawaii!)
The question now is unpack or not to unpack? 
I am heading to Karratha next weekend for the annual Dampier Triathlon on Sunday. It will be my first trip up north to the home town of my cousin Wesley. He will have his work cut out for him playing host to his parents and my parents over the 3 days. But I have heard that
 "Wiz Bang Tours" are a class above the rest! We will have to wait and see!