Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I remember when....!

After the guts of my program has begun and the intervals on the bike and run are making there way into the day, the body begins to feel it. It was this morning after swimming that I was so happy to remember I had a massage today. 
But it made me think?
I remember the days when going for a massage was such a relaxing experience! The soft, instrumental music was playing in the background, the candles were giving off a delightful smell and sometimes it was a struggle to keep the eyes open. There may have been a small water feature to help with the serenity! But you were told to relax and enjoy, "we will wake you if you full asleep!" was usually the last thing I heard.
Well, it is nothing like that now! The knots have to come out and the tight muscles need to be loose, ready for that next session, ready for the next week! Tony's elbow for 60 minutes becomes my enemy, but I feel so much better for it! Plus, it is great to catch up on the football news even if he does barrack for the opposition!
It is amazing how things have changed for athletes, or have they?
I wonder, when Mark Allen and Dave Scott were racing and winning Hawaii, were they doing weights, pilates, yoga, having a massage? Were they taking supplements and following a strict diet or did anything go?
Everything is so scientific these days! There are heart rate monitors, power taps, computrainers and so many swimming tools that they can't all fit in my bag! You can graph your results and compare them from one session to the next, or even compare them to somebody else!
For me, I guess, I like to keep it simple! But that won't mean I wont be giving it 100% tomorrow for my 30min CP Test on the bike! I love that test!! NOT!!