Tuesday, September 1, 2009

There will days like this!

I can't remember who sings that song, but I was humming it to myself last night as I went to sleep.
It was always going to be touch and go for me racing Ironman Canada yesterday but I was still determined to be there and give it 100%.
After racing a few weeks ago in Boise I had pulled up a little sore in my lower back and was being cautious leading into Ironman Canada. I mean this is my career we are talking about. The medical advice was race, but if it hurts think about the bigger picture. Obviously easier said than done. This played on my mind all week as I prepared for the race.
Tuesday I began to feel a little sick and this unfortunately lasted for 3 days! Hey, no problems all part of the challenge of Ironman racing.
By the time Sunday arrived, I was mentally not in the right frame of mind. It has been nearly 18 months since I was on the start line of an Ironman and I was feeling like a rookie again.
The gun went off and we were on our way!
I have been swimming really well lately and was looking forward to letting it rip in the Okanagan but it was not to be. I felt flat as a tack and realised too late that I missed the pack I should have been in or was probably more capable of being in! Do I close the gap or don't I? I didn't and just over an hour later I exited the swim disappointed but ready to move on and ride like the wind! Transition was great, I felt like I was in and out quicker than expected and onto the bike.
The flat feeling was with me for the first 60-70km. I just couldn't find my cycling legs and it was totally frustrating me. Riding up Richter pass I began to feel better and glad the lower body had finally come to the party.
At the 100km mark I put the foot down and was able to pass a few females in front and was determined to stay strong and increase the gap.
By 150km the lack of fitness was playing it's part, but riding up Yellow Lake I was still pushing hard knowing it would be all downhill soon back into town. It was about then I began to feel the twinges in my back and knew I would have to make a decision in T2.
The last climb and I was getting excited, changed gears, then my chain came off and I couldn't get it back on! Off the bike I realised it had become jammed and there was no way I could get it out! I was left to wait on the side of the road for Tech support.
The guys from the Bike Barn were fantastic and gave me a push back up the hill to send me on the way home.
Into T2 I sat on my chair and the mind games began, I can, I can't, you shouldn't, why not? The reality is if I did, it would set me back from all the progress I have made so far, for what? Obviously to finish Ironman Canada (but it is okay, it just means I will have to come back and do it again!) But it was time to be smart and sensible about this decision and think about the big picture. My goals and future in the sport, not just the hear and now!
As my brother Michael put it, it was a business decision!
So unfortunately, I made the call and handed in my timing chip for my first ever DNF in an Ironman. A position I absolutely do not want to find myself in again but sometimes you just never know what is going to happen on the day.
It was great to be back racing, I indication if where I am at and what needs to be done. I am lacking race fitness but this will come with time.
I am ready to move onwards and upwards and take advantage of my experience yesterday to make me a much better athlete in so many ways!

The highlight of the day by far was watching Kerry and Shannon!
Kerry is the first athlete I have to coached to an Ironman finish and her and Shannon crossed the finish line together in 13.30hrs. It was awesome!
She smashed the swim and bike and was concerned about getting through the run due to a "dicky" knee! But the tears flowed at the finish line and it was a moment I will never forget.
The drinks will be flowing tonight when we celebrate!
As soon as I had showered after my swim, bike I was on the mountain bike to find Kerry and Shannon on the run! Maybe I should have rode this up Richter rather than my bike!
Unfortunately fires in near by Kamloops meant the wind was up and the smoke was in. It was hard to see and difficult to breath for some and the day went on. Challenges conditions for all!
Terry was my saviour in T2 helping me to think rationally about where I was at, what I was doing and my future in the sport. Everyone in there was all so amazing and I could have stayed for hours except it started getting very busy once the age group women began to fly through. I knew then it was time to find my family, shed a few tears and eat some Ice Cream!!
Thank you so my mum, dad, Aunty Maxine and Eleanor, Uncle Ray and Peter and Chris who were all here to support me. They understood completely and reminded it was all about any excuse for a holiday anyway!!
Also my brothers and family still in Perth for their understanding.
And finally my awesome sponsors!
Just to mention a few K-Swiss, Nunn, GU, Blue Seventy, Skins, Novatron, Ryders
This is a step in the right direction and I can't wait to be back out on the start line again sooner rather than later and doing what I love most!