Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fly, Drive, Race, Drive, Fly, Sleep!

2010 is off to a flying start and the last week has been a whirl wind of adventures.
Monday morning it was a 3am wake up call as mum and I made the journey from Perth to Sydney, transferred to the international airport then eventually found ourselves in a "little bit chilly" Auckland!
With the 5 hour time difference, by the time we eventually made it to bed it was 11pm and we were both looking forward to a good nights sleep. Unfortunately that did not eventuate but it was a leisurely breakfast before we made the 3 hour drive to Tauranga.
The sea side town of Tauranga is New Zealands answer to Australia's Noosa. The beach's and cafe strip give the town so much vibe and the atmosphere is fantastic. Especially at this time of the year.
The Port of Tauranga Half Ironman is also very special to me as I had my first professional victory there in 2008. It was great to be back!
Mum and I stayed at the Atrium apartments which were in a perfect location. Walking distance to transition, the beach and cafe strip for post race celebrations.
Race morning was rather chilly!! And mum and I tried to shelter ourselves from the wind prior to the swim start. The current was strong and as a result a number of boats and buoys were in my way during the swim! One minute you were swimming straight to the turn around, the next, you lifted your head up and there was a hull of a boat in the way! It was definitely a challenge.
Onto the bike and it was "ready set go!!" my goal, to go as hard and fast as I can. I tried to do just that! It was a 2 lap 45km course that became a little bit crowded on the second lap but I knew I was riding strong and it felt great! With about 15km to go I came up along side a team rider who was being lapped and began to wander to the right hand side of the road. I called out "bike right" so I could make a pass. He moved left, then got out of his seat and decided to sprint a little. The next minute I heard a whistle! I kept riding because I thought there was no way it has to do with me. But yes, it did! I was given a blocking penalty and had to do my time at the next penalty station. Just like anyone else would be I was furious! I had been so conscious the entire ride of not getting into a situation that would be considered illegal and I was stung. The reality, what can you do? Nothing! I served my time. The hardest part was getting back on the bike and dealing with my head!! In a Half Ironman that time felt like it has might as well be 10 minutes. Especially when I know I am still limited with my running, haven't done any speed work and would never make it up!
By the time I made it to transition I was over my self pity and after a stern talking to the negative side of the brain, the shoes were on!
The reality, I was there racing! I was doing exactly what I love to do! It was taken away from me for the last year and a half and I hated it. Afraid that I may never being able to race again. But I was! This was going to be intense work out for the week and my long run.
I was trying a few new things and I had just recently declared 2010 the year of "learning and opportunity!". That was happening now!
It was hard not to enjoy the run as the crowd support is amazing, for every single athlete out on the course. I was made to feel so special and loved every minute, even while I was breathing hard and pushing the quads around the Mount. It was an adrenalin rush!
Although initially bitterly disappointed with the day, a review of the race, where I am at, what I have done and the direction I am heading made me feel better at the end of the day! (Along with a very nice glass of red wine!)
Janette, Jane and the fantastic Half Ironman team put on an awesome race. One I look forward to going back to again and again.
I have realised that my training needs to extend from the physical aspects of the sport to the mental as well especially as I continue to remind myself to be patient as the year progresses.
I love what I do and wouldn't trade it for anything!
After returning to Perth a week later I am enjoying a full weeks recovery which has worked out ideal as my brother's birthday seems to be going all week!
Mum and I are home but the rest of the family are going away! My brother blake and his wife are off to Canada and Hawaii tomorrow. Following him, my other brother Michael flies to Mauritius tomorrow night while my dad will tough it our in Broome next week!
Never a dull moment in the adventures of "life!"