After returning from New Zealand and having a weeks break to recover from the race and the travel I was ready to get right back into full training and go for it again. It is so exciting to be back training and racing again. To finally feel some fitness coming back and look forward to the adventures of 2010. But as coach "Dr J" pointed out, the season is long! I want to be doing more racing this year and trying new things, there will be A races, B races, training races. Bike focus weeks, run focus weeks (maybe a swim focus week?). For this to all happen I need to be mindful of the body, from where I have only come from in a short period of time since the injuries (and a place I don't ever want to go back to again!) So with his words of wisdom I am nearly half way through my "De-fatigue Fortnight". After reading the program I replied that I would be frustrated after week one and probably hate him after week two, but knew he was right! But with the focus being more on strength,weights and core work I feel like I have been just as busy and still had a bit of muscle soreness after getting back into the weights (it has been a few months!) I have indulged in 2 massages this week thanks to Tony, some dry needling, acupuncture next week and religiously stuck to my 15 mins of Yoga every morning even at 4.45am before swimming training! (lets see how long this one lasts!)
On the up side, I can definitely feel my physical and mental state so much more refreshed as I have enjoyed social rides around the river with Bec and Wez. And thanks to Wez I am also getting to know the most popular coffee shop stops on the way. Although I have still yet to be converted to drinking coffee, I do love a herbal tea! I have even been to Gino's twice in the last 8 days after swimming!! All new for me, but I like it!
Now that I think about it, I even went to the movies twice in 5 days!! Last weekend after a relaxing lunch I dragged Nat to a girlie flick then 2 nights ago mum, dad and I thoroughly enjoyed Avatar and now can completely understand what all the fuss is about! Plus, here in Perth, we are obviously laying claim to Sam Worthington being a local boy!!
At the beginning of the week I was questioning how little I was going to be doing over the next 14 days, but now can appreciate how much it was needed and how much better I am feeling for it! Another 7 days and I will definitely be jumping out of my skin!
My brother Michael has safely returned from Mauritius and I can't wait to catch up with him, Ang and the kids next week on Australia Day!
My other brother Blake and his wife Robbie are having a fantastic time in Vancouver as I just got off skype to them. They were having dinner with my girlfriend, Harbinder and her husband Steve. Harbinder was my Head of Department when I did a years teacher exchange in Vancouver in 2005 (before becoming a Pro Triathlete!) and we just hit it off! I try and visit her every time I am in the USA.
A little cycle tomorrow and a swim is good timing as I will be hitting the kitchen tomorrow afternoon. We are having a "Canadian Reunion" on Sunday! Last year a group of us traveled to Vancouver, then Penticton to race Ironman Canada. There were friends and family, then we went our separate ways. It is time to catch up, exchange stories, photo's and make plans for another adventure. All over a yummy seafood lunch and a glass of wine! Can't wait!
Enjoy your weekend! I know I will be!