Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sun Sun Sun!

HAPPY NEW YEAR
The new year has begun with a whole heap of heat in Perth. A few days of 40 degrees and the beaches have been packed! Last weekend was the Leighton Beach swim with the option of swimming 1.25km, 2.5km or 5km. I decided to meet half way and swim the 2.5km. It was a nice leisurely ride to the beach and arriving with just enough time to get changed, register and swim. But with the sun shinning and temperature rising they underestimated how many late entries there would be so eventually over an hour later the swim began.
I was a little concerned if there were going to be stingers in the water after the experiences I have had recently. But thankfully none came any where near me for the entire swim!
After a sold cycle around the river Barry and Julie decided to come and there morning with a swim as well. And why wouldn't you!
It was such an awesome day!

The open water swim series has been a great opportunity for me to practice my swimming, especially the start, going hard and then getting into a groove. Hoping with a pack.
This particularly swim was dominated with 12-15 year olds who left the majority of the pack for dead at the start, never to be seem again!
It was a two lap swim where I was able to stay with a small group for the first lap. The second lap our group had dwindled to 2 and although I did try a couple of times to go around and take the lead in the end I was still swimming the same pace as the guy in front of me.
It came down to the run up the beach where unfortunately his longer legs prevailed but we had both pushed each other to a great result.
For the last few days it has been a bit of travel from Perth to Sydney, a few hours in Sydney before flying to Auckland. A night in Auckland and finally a few hours drive to Taraunga where I am but it just a little bit cooler than home. I think people are looking at me funny because I am walking around with a jacket on while they are enjoying the sun and swimming at the beach!
Tonight mum and I are off to enjoy a BBQ put on by event director Janette and her fantastic team before registration, briefing and all the bits and pieces occur tomorrow.
Race day is Saturday, 6.30am start and I can't believe it has been 2 years since I have been here.
It will be another great chance to get a solid session in and begin the journey of 2010.
A year I have decided to call he year of "learning and opportunities!"
Can't wait to see what Saturday brings!