Saturday morning I woke up at 6am, I laid there for a little while thinking "I don't have to get up!". Maybe I could read my book, see what is on Foxtel, but after more than 2 weeks of no physical activity I gave in and decided I had to do something. So very slowly, ( as everything is at the moment) I got up, got changed, threw my hat on my head (which I have done every day this week for work because I still can't do my own hair yet!) and decided to go for a walk along the the Shelley Foreshore not far from our house. I was thinking to myself, it will not be a dog walking kind of walk but more of a power walk. So off I went!
I was about 5 minutes from my decided turn around point with this lovely elderly lady came flying by, walking as well, said good morning, and then kept powering past. I thought I was going fast but she was motoring. I picked up the pace but she was still getting further and further away. I decided with less than 5 minutes until I turned around the challenge was on and I wasn't going to let her get any further away. (although she did!)
When I eventually turned around I had worked up quite a sweet and slowed it down on the return journey home as I had a little giggle to myself. The whole scene reminded me of the movie Days of Thunder with Tom Cruise, the car racing moving where they have an accident and the 2 competitors in up in hospital together. They meet in the hall way of the hospital in their wheel chairs and the race is on as they crash and bump their way to the doctors office!
I did end up really enjoying the walk and smelling the roses!
Once home, breakfast and showered I then had a surprise visit from Coach Budgie. It was so good to finally see him and sit down and have a chat about everything that has happened. He had been away in Chicago and only returned Friday afternoon. I am now under strict instructions to rest at least another couple of weeks and then hopefully by then the slow process of returning to stop fitness will begin!
I can't believe I haven't run since August. Hopefully I will be able to get back into some water running soon.
I also got to enjoy some great company over lunch and plenty of stories from my friend from highschool Kerry, and her boyfriend Shannon. They have just spent the last couple of weeks in Hawaii and Kona as they planned to watch me race. The great thing is they are quite happy to make the journey again! I was spoilt with some pretty cool presents as well! Thanks Guys!