Monday, October 5, 2009

All snowed out!

Can you see me?
I have decided I look more like a "ninja" than somebody about to try and cycle 150 miles (230km) but with the temperature at -5 degrees celsius in Idaho City prior to the start of the ride and a snow storm warming in effect for the direction we were heading I was not taking any chances!! I also had warm patches stuck in my gloves, my shoes and on my back!
Was this going to be enough?
It was just a matter of time now and waiting for the sum to ride before we began the "Sawtooth Challenge" 30 starters had become 23 a couple of days ago and finally 10 we making the start hoping to get from Idaho City to Sun Valley in the day. The distance absolutely possible but the conditions were going to be the telling factor.
The first 2 hours was all up so the cold was not playing a part. It was one winding corner and another climb after the other as John and I slowly picked off the riders in front of us as we were a little late starting.
But as we know what goes up must come down and there was a long long 16km descent into Lowman and even with my layers, I was frozen!! At the very bottom there was a small cabin like cafe where we ducked into to, to defrost so we could continue on our way! This was the point the first rider was in the SAG Wagon after freezing on the descent.
We continued pushing on into an increasing head wind as we watched the clouds roll in and light snow flake begin to fall.
There was a sort rest break where we refueled before beginning the down hill into Stanley but the head wind deflated any ideas of gaining that much speed.
After 6 hours riding time we had made it to Stanley but the prospect of making it to Sun Valley were all but gone with the decreasing light and the approaching storm. I made the decision then and there after 100 miles not to continue on for safety and the prospect of getting sick and cold by the end of the day!
Instead Mountain Village Saloon in Stanley served up an awesome burger and warm tea as John and I waited for the other riders to roll into Stanley as we were the first to arrive.
A lonely 3 decided to continue on but were not many miles down the road before they to had decided to call it a day and return in a vehicle.
This was a wise choice!
Thanks to our "lifesavers" Doreen and Trevor we were given a lift onwards to Sun Valley and it wasn't long before we found ourselves in the middle of the wet, snow and sleet. It would not have been ride able if we had been able to make it that far!
A night was spent in Sun Valley/Ketchum at the Tamarack Lodge where rain over night quickly turned into snow with the plummeting temperatures!
Thank god for the warm clothing Hortie and Kevin let me borrow! I was able to stay warm and enjoy the winter wonderland!
Have I out stayed my time in Boise!!
No, I don't think so!
The sun will be shinning again very soon this week and I will be able to get in a few more quality mountain session's before returning home to Perth.
There is lots to do between now and then though!