It was a whirlwind trip to Austin Texas but I feel it was a very successful one!
Besides the fact I made a trip to "Mellow Johnny's" I got to compete in the Longhorn 70.3 and it was great to back racing again.
There were a few little things that I had forgotten but it all came back pretty quickly including the nerves on race morning. It was exciting to be lining up alongside such a stacked field in the both the the Pro men and Pro Women. So I guess it was no surprise when the announcer began counting down from 10 to 1 to start us we were already on our way by 6! If you waited, race over before you had even begun!
I went out hard in the first 400m and could see a pack forming just in front of me but as the swim went on they were getting further and further away. So close, yet so far! Next time! So the swim became a solo effort from then on which is quite common for me. I can't make the fast pack but I am a little quicker than the slower pack. Getting there!
Exiting the water it was exciting to have a "wetsuit stripper" not something we have in Australia so I took full advantage of someone else helping me pull my wetsuit off quicker than I would have before I ran to my bike. It was a quick transition from then on and I was on my way.
I eased into the bike as I began to warm up through the rolling hills section at the beginning of the course. A passed a few girls here but from then in, there was nothing to see! It was one lap and it wasn't until the last 10 miles I passed another girl who stayed with me until the finish of the bike.
Then it was "what is going to happen!"
I have been taking it really, really easy on the run leading up to Longhorn, as in 3 to 4 x 30-45 min runs a week and that was it. I wanted more than anything to get to the start line healthy and the rest would be a bonus.
The run was 3 laps of rolling hills and trails, it didn't heat up too much but as the clouds came in so did the humidity.
After the first lap I was scared! This was going to hurt and hurt a lot more than normal!
Sure, I know it always hurts, but normally I have a lot more run fitness hidden away but I knew today I wouldn't and would just have to try and hang on.
When I could feel my stride length increasing I could hear Jeff's strict instructions keep it short, high cadence. So I did and it helped, especially on the climbs.
So many times, like everyone body else I am sure, that little voice inside my head was telling me to walk, take a break, there is no hurry. Just get there and you will be fine. But I stayed strong and never did. Mentally it was a huge victory.
If you were to see the picture of me crossing the finish line it looks like I won the race.
To me I did. It was a huge victory! I was still able to run 1.28:30 on the limited training I had done and thankfully 10 seconds still separated me from a group of girls finishing strong.
7th Place and I am back!
Once crossing the you were greeted with a handful of goodies!
A water bottle!
A finishers hat!
And of course the finishers medal!
It was a successful weekend for me but I must admit it has taken a lot more out of me than I expected and I think it will take the full week to recover!
Better to be safe than sorry!
Congratulations to all those Aussie who raced at World Champs in Perth on Sunday. On a tough day you did awesome!
Finally!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!
Hope you have a great trip to Tasmania and I can't wait to see you soon!