Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Time Trial Reality

After the festivities of Christmas, the yummy food and drink I was brought back to reality with a hilly 46km time trial. Nothing like a bit of pain to get you started again. I returned early from Margaret River on the weekend for the time trial and after a very short, definitely not enough, warm up, I was on my way, number 29!
The course began heading east along Great Souther Highway and consisted of mainly rolling hills but into a head wind on the way out. A left had turn was made onto Inkpen Road where the head wind became a cross wind which wasn't too bad but the vibrations of the bumpy road created enough drama's. Not only for the rear end but I found my right arm becoming very sore from holding on so tightly and bouncing up and down. A "U" turn was made before returning exactly the same way and enjoying the tail wind back to the start. 
As painful as it was I actually quite enjoyed it. The opportunity to race hard and being happy with my performance after 4 weeks of training and knowing I have only done base milage in the last month. 
I pulled up okay, but must admit Monday morning an "easy, recovery" ride with Bec had me feeling pretty heavy in the legs, even on the flats!
For the next 2 weeks I will pick up the intensity on the bike and the run and then meet with Andrew to see how the body feels and is responding. So far so good! Swimming? I will deal with that later!!
I officially had to decline the offer to race at the Port of Tauranga Half Ironman which is next weekend in New Zealand and was my first professional victory at the beginning of last year. It will be disappointing not to be racing and even have the chance to defend my title but I am not up to racing that distance yet and as I am constantly reminded I need to play it safe right now for the benefit of the long term.
The alarm has been set nice and early over the last few days with temperatures reaching 39 degrees yesterday, and tomorrow, I am hitting the pavement by no later than 5.30am to avoid the heat. It is not getting below 20 degrees at night so it is still quite balmy then. 
Today is the last day of 2008... we can all reflect on the highs, the lows, what is going to be different in 2009. To be honest, it is all a surprise! Everyday is the opportunity for something new and exciting. Not just because tomorrow will be the 1st Jan 2009!
Have a fantastic New Year's Eve, be safe and Dare to Dream!