John and Jeff were hosting 4 athletes for the 70.3 and has a full house, so Friday was the perfect opportunity for a pasta dinner and a chance to chat with many athletes who were taking part in the following days Half Ironman. With a 2pm race start I think it would have been a challenge for me as I am such an early morning person. But everyone else was pretty excited about the sleep in! For me, there was going to be no sleep in! Ang's week was up and the alarm was set for 4am as she had to be at the airport by 4.30am! Plenty of time for us to get ready and her to be on her way back to Australia!
I can't believe how quick the time went. We had alot planned and was sure there was plenty of time. But as always, there were a a number of things that we didn't get round to doing. Maybe she will just have to make another trip..!
After the airport drop off, I was on my way to Nampa for the Bob Le Bow charity bike race. It was 100 miles (160km) and a great way for me to get my long ride in that week. With the 70.3 not starting until 2pm there was just enough time to do the ride, eat and hopefully have a quick nap.
The ride started well, but unfortunately the rain came down on and off after the first hour. There was a large group to start off with and as the ride progressed it became smaller and smaller. I did find myself riding solo for about 20 miles. How this happened I have no idea, but was thankful when a small group of 6 eventually caught me and we were able to work together. It made the ride a whole lot easier!
4 hours and 50 minutes later I was back at the start line wet, hungry and a little tired and sore. Glad that I was not racing that afternoon!
That feeling did not last very long!
Although the rain came down and the conditions were maybe not the best for racing or watching, the community of Boise did not disappoint and there were people everywhere to cheer on the athletes!
It was an exciting finish in the men's race with a difference of only 2 seconds between Crowie and Leito. While a dominating performance was seen by Tisserye in the womens race. Linsey gave warning she was back and ready to race.
It was a long day with the race start and presentations were not until 10pm. By then I was well overdue for sleep and enjoyed a nice little extended stay in bed the next morning.
After a recovery ride on the computrainer it was an afternoon BBQ to celebrate all the fantastic achievements yesterday by local Boise athletes. Non more so than Kevin Everett, whose house I am living in at the moment. He was first out of the water dragging the likes of Crowie, Leito and Lavelle around the course and had a fantastic race after riding the later half of the bike course on a flat tyre! One to watch next year I am sure!
It is nice now to be back into a normal routine, and feel very settled in Boise after meeting some fantastic people. I am very lucky!
My friend from Vancouver, Tony has just made the 12 hour drive here to stay for a couple of nights (no wonder he has passed out on the bed already and it is only 6pm!) and we have plenty planned over the next 48 hours including getting some action shots for my website. So stay tuned!
Happy Birthday Robbie for last Saturday!
I know my brother would have spoilt you rotten for sure and there would have been plenty of chocolate involved!
Michael, the room was awesome in Vegas! I could have lived in it! Ang has plenty of photo's to show you!
Ang, it was great spending the week with you, it was like spending time with a sister I don't have. Give Ella and Nate big hugs and kisses for me! xx00