After the initial news on Tuesday, I must admit I was pretty down and out for a little while! What did I do? I enjoyed a whole heap of cheese and crakers and a bottle of french wine with my father! No better way of drowning those sorrows!
It was a tough decision to decide to not race in Hawaii and believe me, it was the last decision I wanted to make. Actually, if you had spoken to me Monday night it was never even an option! I was going to get there no matter what. But with more thought and speaking to the specialists, I would not have been able to run a marathon in time and I would be devastated with that. Running is my strength and to not be able to put it to use in the World Championships just wouldn't be right. As much as racing in Kona is the ultimate and just being there is so special I wouldn't be happy starting the race knowing I did not have %100 to give. Not only that, but I have a big year of racing planned next year beginning on Jan 10th returning to New Zealand to defend my title in the Half Ironman and racing in 5 weeks time is only likely to cause more damage and result in more time off once I return. I do not want to begin 2009 any other way than %100 fit. So, with a great team around me and so much support from family and friends it is going to be hard to hold me back!!Over the last 48 hours I have done a heap of research spoken to many experts and am confident I can be back running (easy) in the next 6-8 weeks. I have set myself a target of the end of October to begin light jogging. We will see how this goes!
I swum yesterday, with a pull buoy for most of the time, and this morning enjoyed an easy 90 minute cycle around the river avoiding any hills (not that there are many in the city!)
Thank you so much for all the e-mails of support and best wishes. It is great to see how many people actually do read my blogs!! I have no idea, but find it quite theraputic and and enjoy writing things down.
I am still waiting for an appointment with a a different specialist regarding my bone density situation and am hoping this will happen in the next week. It is a shame, but sometimes it is all about who you know!! If I was to ring up and make the appointment myself I wouldn't be able to get in until mid october, but if some else does it.. who they know.... things are different! I am also looking forward to sitting down with coach Budgie and devising a plan of attack for the short term to keep me "ticking" over and relatively fit.
To all the "Sandgropers" heading to Kona, only a couple more big weeks of training to go then it will be all down hill. Hang in there!!
By the way... can someone bring me back a T-shirt!!