Saturday morning I got to venture out for my first real ride outside since breaking my collar bone. It was great! Painful, but great! For the lat couple of weeks I have only been riding on the indoor trainer but took the plunge yesterday. I met Michelle at 5.45am and was just going to casually ride with her to Attadale Cycles then ride home. But I was having so much fun that I rode with the group as well. Thank God there ride had a nice little detour in it towards the end because I was ready to go home. By the time I made it back I definitely felt like I had worked hard. It was even a "jump back into bed for a quick nap" morning, although I probably didn't deserve it yet.
Last night I met Nat, Mat and Paul at the indoor cycling track to watch Bec race in the International Track meet. It was pretty exciting with competitors from Malaysia and Holland also racing in the lead up to the World Cup meet in Melbourne.
Man, some of them were so quick! I guess racing behind a motor bike also helps!
After a few drama's Nat and I got to enjoy our picnic dinner we had brought and a glass of wine to help it all go down!
Bec was all smiles on her new bike and with her cool looking gear from her sponsor, she had a fantastic night. Well, for 3/4 of it! We were just waiting for her last event which was the 30 lap points race. A front group had made a break away but Bec made a huge solo effort and closed the gap. With less than 10 laps to go the pack was tight again and all of a sudden we couldn't see her! Crash!! She had unfortunately been taken out by the girl above her on the track who touched wheels with the person in front of her and hit the deck. If you can possibly say you are lucky when you crash then Bec was! She hit the track hard and will have some nasty bruises in a couple of days but nothing broken and no damage to the bike. I am sure Matt also had his work cut out with the tweezers later that night trying to remove all the splinters!
The girls ready to go before the points race!
More motor pacing! They are actually just warming up!
So Bec, thanks for the entertaining night, but I don't want another one like it! You did awesome against some of the best in the world and are only getting stronger and stronger! I can't wait to see more action, on the track ( as opposed to off it!!)