Saturday, November 1, 2008

Getting Excited!

I feel like things are coming along nicely and hopefully my surgeon and specialist will agree with me next week. This past 7 days I have enjoyed a couple of 60 minute spins on my bike in the garage while watching Sunrise. It was so great to get back in the bike again. I find I could ride with my arms on the bars for 5-7 minutes then sit up for a minute or so before repeating this for an hour. It was great! Definitely no areo position happening yet though. I also got back in the water, no swimming but 3 water running sessions this week. I am sure I was getting some weird looks from some of the swimmers and I "jogged" up and down the pool for an hour on Friday, but it wasn't too bad because they had music playing and there was plenty to look at to keep me occupied. The junior squad were training, the master squad had nearly finished and there was a lovely elderly lady next to me who was swimming backstroke with the wildest left arm that every time she went by I was certain I was about to get a good whack!! 
I have been advised to venture out around the block tomorrow on my bike, just to get back on it outside and get rid of the fear factor. I haven't done this yet since the crash so I guess the sooner the better.
And why am I getting so excited?
It is only 8 sleeps to go before I can go for a 15 minute run! I can't wait! I feel like a kid at christmas! Yes, I know, I have a problem, but we all have our own little weird factors.! 
Last night I attended the Officials Awards Function at the Sheraton and a special mention should be made to Frank Stapleton who received the Official of the Year Award for Triathlon. If you are racing the Busselton Ironman you are bound to see him out on the course.
This morning I enjoyed another water run while passing on a few swimming tips to Shannon and Smarty who had come to keep me company. By 9.30am I was done, it was a bit strange still, what do I do? Well, I was so close to the shops that I ventured across to Garden City and did the unthinkable..!
I began my Christmas shopping!
I am hoping sooner, rather than later having this freedom on a Saturday morning we all but vanish so I might as well take advantage of it while I can.
Monday morning I am going to take the plunge and go back to swimming training for a bit of kicking and one arm swimming. We will see how it goes!