So when confronted with the same session again today I realised I had to do things a little bit differently if I didn't want to make the same mistake again.
So what did I change? There were two things that help make today a successful session rather than a "if I can't even get through this, then how I am going to complete an Ironman in 6 weeks?"
First, I did begin a little bit more conservatively. Rather than busting my guts to try and keep up with others, not knowing what they had done previous to today or what they had for the rest of the day, I was more focused on my plan and my session. This definitely helped. But number two, I paid alot more attention to my nutrition today and gave it more of the respect that it deserved. We all know how nutrition is seen as just as important as the swimming, biking and running in an Ironman. If you can't get this right, chances are you will not make it to the finish line. It is important for me to get it right in training again (after not racing an Ironman for over a year!) or I will never get it together on race day.
So I am happy to report, (probably more for me, mentally, than anything else!) that today was a success and not only did I get through it, but I felt so much better doing so than last time. Don't get me wrong, I am smashed, and by tomorrow lunchtime I will have a big smile on my face as I know I am looking forward to a recovery week starting on Monday.
There was also another, small motivating factor that was on my mind this morning. To my cousin Wez and great friend Barry, you guys are crazy! Today was the annual Rottnest Channel swim which is a 20km open water swim from Cottosloe Beach to an Island called Rottnest. Thousands of people participate in what is know as the largest open water swimming event in the world. You can compete in a team of 4, a duo or as these two did, as a solo. Over 7 hours of continuous swimming. I don't think so! I love swimming, but I would rather be cycling or running any day.
So to Wesley and Barry, Congratulations! Enjoy the celebrations as you totally deserve them! See you on the mainland soon!