I dragged myself out of bed yesterday and made it too the pool for squad training. As I saw Ashley as we entered the pool the discussion was more about being here physically but mentally I was somewhere else. Back in bed maybe!
I knew it was going to be a struggle but saw it more as an opportunity to get in a recovery swim which would hopefully help the tired legs out. For the first 2km that is all it was. An easy warm up and then drills. After that we had a pull set and for some reason not having to use the legs made me feel so much better and I decided "great, lets smash the arms!" so with pull buoy, band and paddles I began to feel so much better as the session went on and 4.5km later I was happy with what had eventuated.
As I drove home I was planning the day in front of me including the food shopping and an afternoon nap, when I saw dad's car at home which is unusual at 7.30am. The next minute he was speeding out of the driveway with mum in the passenger seat yelling out the window "I will explain later!"
I got inside, picked up the phone and rang his mobile, only to find out my poor mother had fallen over while cleaning (see, house cleaning is a hazard!) and hurt herself badly and they were on the way to the emergency at Murdoch Hospital! oh no! Obviously I asked if there was anything I could but there wasn't so I waited at home.
I had an easy 90 minute spin so did this on the indoor trainer while watching the Super Bowl with both my mobile and the house phone next to me but they didn't ring!
Then I though I will have a quick shower, but kept both phones close by! You guessed it, with Shampoo in my hair, Michelle rang to ask for a phone number, with conditioner in my hair aunty maxine rang to speak to my mother, then eventually after shaving my legs my father rang!
My mum's shoulder was dislocated and they were waiting to confirm a fracture or not before they put it back in place. Shortly after I was on my way to the hospital.
Thankfully, there was no fracture, and with some strong gas to suck in I watched doctor "Trevor" put the arm back in place and a smile return to my mother's face! Thank God!
She is now in a sling for a couple of weeks, which I can totally relate too, but don't think that is stopping her from coming to Geelong. Not a chance!
I am in the process of packing now, but keep procrastinating! Like going to the shops, washing the car, watching an old episode of Packed to the Rafters, and writing my blog!
We leave tomorrow morning and I am so excited! It is great! I feel like there is no pressure, just the opportunity to see how training has been going over the last 8 weeks and how the body will respond to the race pace over the half ironman rather than a sprint distance. Finally back to doing what I love. Yah!
Time to go finish packing, unless I clean the bathroom, then vacuum my room, maybe take the dog for a walk........!