Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shattered!

Yes, thats right! Down and out and probably a little bit beaten. I have been known to use the word "knackered" when I am sore and tired but this weekend seemed to take me beyond that and shattered was the only way to describe it.
After my long ride yesterday and pushing myself to try and stay with the guys (no I wasn't able to!) they continue to drop me mainly on the down hills although yesterday there was one section through Pickering Brook where I was hanging on, hanging on, but and knew it was coming, and bang!, they were out of there seats and gone. I could do nothing but continue on and knowing I would be at the bakery very soon and I couldn't wait! 
The best part if after the Bakery it is just about all down hill except sometimes there can be a nice little head wind along Roe Highway. But with Dougal as company we kept up the pace and I was home and on the trainer for some efforts. 
These are what smashed me! I was okay for the first few but after that, if I thought the legs were gone before, I don't know what I was using to keep the pedals pushing over. 
But wait.. there was more! I was supposed to run off the bike but a mere 20 minute dawdle was all I was capable off before I lay down on the garage floor for 30 minutes in front of the fan and did not move!
An afternoon sleep and good feed was just what I needed before the entire family headed to Cottosloe where a long time great friend Rob Khoury was celebrating his engagement. He has recently moved back to Perth from Sydney and it was great to seem him so happy and in love!!
It was a bit of a late one for me 11pm and by the time I got home the thoughts were off my training session the next day and how I was going to get through it!
My motto "be the best today!" that was all I could do!
So my bike run brick today wasn't the best. The ride was fine as I enjoyed the sunrise and the tail wind on the way home but by the time I got onto the treadmill it was a different story. I was way off the pace today and had to stop frequently to regroup, load up and motivate myself to keep going. But you know what? I got through. I got through with what I had to give today and although it was not where I wanted to be or wanted to be doing, I think I got a lot more out of it than just the physical pain on the body! 
As the song goes "there will be days like this!"
A 3 hour sleep later, and I am walking around in my skins although it is 36 degrees outside trying to do everything possible to get feeling back in my legs. 
I guess the sad thing is, I love it! I love the feeling that I have worked so hard that I couldn't work anymore. That I gave my best when the little voice inside my head was saying, "look, it won't matter if you don't do this session today". 
I have a few easier days now to get things back together before heading to Geelong on Wednesday and the chance for the real test next weekend in the Half Ironman.
Time to go eat some more food!!