Sunday, July 6, 2008

Biblical...?

If there is one day of the week when I would rather it wouldn't rain, it would be a Saturday. The LSD ride is always on a Saturday and I wouldn't mind doing any other session indoors, but if I this one outside each week in winter it is a bonus! But as luck would have it, the entire week had been chilly mornings but fantastic days but the rain was coming!
I spoke to coach "Budgie" on Friday night not quite trusting the weather man's forecast and his response was "it may be biblical!"?
What did that mean? A bit of wind, maybe some rain, who knows?
I don't know if it is a good or a bad thing, but when the alarm goes off at 5am and it is a quick change and onto the bike, it is so dark outside I can't see what is coming. Yeah, I can look up and see if there are a few stars around indicating a clear sky, but I can't see if there are some black rollers getting close ever so slowly! So, it was not raining at the time, I made the 35 minute ride to the raffles before there was even a little drop and this only lasted for about 10 minute's! Yah, things were looking good!
I met Sandy and no one else in our group had seemed to brave the elements so we headed for the hills. We were getting pretty excited after 2 1/2 hours when it still hadn't rained again but then cars were coming our way with windscreen wipers going pretty fast so there had to be some water somewhere!
It didn't take long and by the time we reached Kalamunda we were stoked and it was bucketing down! Our normal Brumby's Bakery stop was canceled so we could get home and dry quicker!
The usually fast and "not afraid" decent down welshpool road was one of pure terror and trying to see exactly where I was going as the rain felt like hail on my face and the brakes were unfortunately being overused.
I finally made it home 4 hours and 15 minutes later, stripping off the wet and dirty clothes outside but washing down the bike first, off course!!
Maybe... if I had only waited 24 hours I could have ridden today when it has been a glorious sunny day although the temperature only just cracked the 0 degrees this morning, there has been no rain! But then maybe I wouldn't have had such a great track session like I did this morning.
That is life!