For training I work on a 3 week cycle. This means 2 weeks hard and 1 week easy. I have friends that work on a 4 week cycle where they have 3 hard weeks followed by 1 hard but I find by the end of the 2nd hard week I am stuffed! I am more than ready for a recovery week. And I also feel this allows me to get the most out of my hard weeks.
Now that my lecturing at the university has finished as off this week, I am trying to incorporate those 1% into my training program. Those little things that can actually make such a difference, that there was never time for before, but now I have no excuses!
Like stretching more! I know how good it is and vital for those stiff and sore muscles but if time is short then I skip the stretching! Not anymore! Sleeping! I have never had any problems getting a full nights sleep on most occasions, now I am aiming for that afternoon nap! I used to try and get one on the weekend when I was working and it was joy!! Over the last 3 days it has been so nice coming home from swimming training, eating breakfast then jumping straight back into bed for an hour! Especially since it has been so called outside. After that initial groggy feeling when you first wake up I have definitely felt better for it!
On Thursday night it was a great family night with us all at my brother Michael's house for a belated birthday celebration for his wife Angalene! Hi mike!! I now know that is how you are keeping up with what I am doing!! Mum, Dad, Brother Blake, Fiance Robbie, Brother Michael, Wife Ang, daughter Ella, and Zac (the dog!!) It was the first time in a long time we had all been together but I loved it! They have built a gorgeous new house but the smart minded business people they are, will not be in it for long! The market is booming in Perth at the moment and they are going to take full advantage of it!
My recovery week comes to an end tomorrow with the hard work beginning again on Sunday. The big question for me is what will saturday bring? There is supposed to bucket down, with heavy showers and hail!! Not too sure about riding the hills in those conditions. At 5am tomorrow morning I will decided, Raffles ride or 4 hours on the computrainer!
I guess I could watch a couple of good movies in that time!
Happy Independence Day to all my American Friends!! Enjoy the celebrations and the fireworks!
Also Michelle Downs who I swim with is off to Roth for the Ironman! She has trained hard and is fit and ready to go! This is the one Michelle! Have a fantastic day and soak it all up!