Monday, July 28, 2008

Yah, We Won!!

Thats right! I can't believe it! The West Coast Eagles were part of a huge upset on the weekend and came through to beat St Kilda by 17  points. It was so funny because the first quarter was a disaster and I think it was at least 18 - 0 before the Eagles finally scored a point. It took until the last few minutes of the quarter for them to score a goal and that was a huge celebration! 
I don't know what happened at quarter time but they came out firing after that and the crowd were just happy that it was a close game and we weren't being flogged!! 
The last quarter they were like a completely different team. It just seemed like they all of a sudden had a confidence and belief about themselves. They were backing themselves to kick the goals and take on their opponents rather than passing the ball on and the decisions to someone else. It is amazing what a bit of confidence can do!!
Besides the great game I finally got to catch up with my girlfriend Bec Halliday (Hi Bec!!) her boyfriend Matt and Nat as we enjoyed the spoils of the Chairmans Lounge. With only a few home games left I will be in there at every opportunity. 
It is human nature that we don't like to set ourselves up for failure. I am no different! When I first turned professional my goal in any Ironman was to make top 10. I wanted to do that in every race, and I still do. This year at Ironman New Zealand I wanted a podium. After a year of 4th placings I wanted to break the draught. Yeah, I would have been disappointed if that didn't happen but it didn't and I came away with my first podium and a PB! 
We are all the same and like to prepare ourselves for the worst when really we should be preparing ourselves for the best, for the victory! The PB, the qualification for worlds, the great day or whatever the goal may be. 
There are two sessions in my hard week which I have nightmares about the night before because I now they are going to hurt so much. My bike and run intervals. The sessions where you push so hard your muscles are throbbing and all you want to do is stop because you think you are going to be sick. I dread them every week, but when I have completed these sessions I have the greatest amount of satisfaction and feel so confident in my training and where I heading. 
I need to change the way I think about these sessions and not dread them but see them as a challenge and an opportunity to improve my strength/speed, to make me a better athlete physically and mentally and prepare me for what ever may happen come race day.
It is amazing what a little confidence can do and I think it is about time I put it to the test even if I have to fake it!!