Friday, August 1, 2008

Visiting Duncraig Senior High School


Last Wednesday I had the opportunity to speak to students at Duncraig Senior High School. These aren't just any students! They are part of the one and only specialist Triathlon program that we have in a Perth school. I had a chat to them about my personal experiences in regards to training, racing and nutrition and then opened it up for questions. There were plenty of them which was great ranging from what I had done that morning for training to if I had a six pack? Hopefully they would have taken away a little bit of inspiration and motivation to help them train towards the State Schools Triathlon later in the year.

Yes, the rain has continued to fall, and frustratingly mainly first thing in the morning. I had arranged to ride with Michelle on Thursday morning but we decided to wait and see what the whether was going to be like. At 5am she text letting me know it was an indoor training trainer morning and she was right! It was bucketing down outside and with our tin roof it was sounding a lot like hail!  Back into the garage I went and I finished watching season 7 of Friends as the floor became covered with sweat! The best type of Hawaii training if you are living in Perth is locked in the garage, a heater on and mum's towels in the dryer! The temperature is up, the humidity is high and I can hardly breathe!! I am sure it is not half as bad as what the athletes are going to have to deal with in China! At least by next Friday there will be non stop inspirational viewing on T.V.
I have still been forcing myself to spend 10 minutes in our freezing outside pool after my intensive sessions this week to try and limit muscle soreness and get me through the next couple of weeks in the best condition as possible. 
Fingers crossed for some clear skies tomorrow for my LSD ride (Long Slow Distance!!). Someone mentioned to me the other day as I was an Eagles supporter and we all know how much trouble they have been in lately that I shouldn't be referring to my ride as LSD, some people might get the wrong idea!
Which reminds me! The derby is on this weekend and it will all be about bragging rights!
Who wants it more? We will just have to wait and see!
With a big weekend of training in front of me, I will try and keep my eyes open on Sunday afternoon to watch the game!