Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Race - Part 2

Race morning I awoke feeling nice and relaxed, but ready to go. I like it when I wake up just before my alarm goes off because I have woken up naturally and have had enough sleep. I turned the T.V. on to watch some of the Olympic replays from the night before while eating my usual pre-race breakfast.
It was great being so close to the transition area. A 5 minute walk and I had been numbered and was placing my bike on the rack. I felt organised! I had plenty of time so made my way back to hotel reception and found a nice quiet corner where mum and I sat for a chat while I did some stretching and took my time to put my wetsuit on!
After a quick pre-swim briefing we had to begin the long walk along the beach to the swim start. It was a straight 1.9km swim from one end of the beach to the other, which obviously ment we had to walk the 1.9km to the start! I was one of the first to get there so I had plenty of time for my warm up (although the water was a cool 16.9 degrees).
The whistle went and we were off! It was a run from the beach into the water for a straight 100m swim to the first buoy! Note to self - practice running in the water! I totally sucked at this! Unfortunately I was then totally behind from the word "Go" and began trying to play catch up all day! After my extremely slow start I found myself in a group of 3!! trying to navigate our way in as much of a straight line as possible! 
Running up the beach and into transition I was glad to grab my bike and hit the road! It was a 5 lap bike course which gave me plenty of chances to see what the gap was. I was doing okay the first couple of laps and holding steady but by the third lap the gap to the lead was getting bigger and I was beginning to get frustrated! "just stick to your race and your plan" was what I kept telling myself! With 1 1/2 laps to go I decided to push hard and finish as strong as I could, then all of a sudden the gap had been more than halved! How did this happen? (the girls in front had served a drafting penalty!!) I guess anything can happen!
The final ride back into town it was head down until a nasty sting on my chest! Ouch! I had been stung by a bee!! Great! Normally I swell up after a bee sting, become quite light headed and need to lay down! How was this going to affect me? Luckily I was fine! I concentrated on getting some fluids in, breathing and staying strong as I approached the bike to run transition.
Onto the run and all I wanted to do was run fast!! Don't we all! Obviously the first 3 - 4km I was feeling a bit flat but soon got into it and was enjoying the 3 lap run course. After starting the run in 5th position I had run into 2nd halfway through. It was also about then I started to notice my right bum cheek (my glutes!!) starting to really hurt. Oh well, nothing that I can't push through. My pace dropped off during the last 7km lap but I was ecstatic to cross the line and to have held onto my 2nd place. 
As soon as I stopped though, Ouch!! The bum muscle seized up! It is funny, you don't realise how much you rely on those muscles to just walk until there is something wrong!
It was a funny (not sure if that is the right word?) race for me. I was mentally completely ready to race and put it all together, but physically the body was not on the same page. It was frustrating after having put together a good 5 weeks of solid training and PB's on the bike and in the pool but not be able to produce any of that on Sunday. 
That is why I have a coach! To remind me, that was not our goal race, I did not taper for the race, it was a stepping stone and part of the bigger picture. I know I gave it my best on the day with what I had and to have finished 2nd, that is fantastic! 
Mum and Rita were there at the finish line and it seems that my mother had been dealing with drama's of her own! Poor Michelle had not been feeling the best and had to withdraw from the race. Now, in Perth we are always confused for each other (we can't see it!) she is could Kate often out running and cycling and vice versa. But with thought this happened only at home! Apparently not! When Michelle was receiving assistance out on the course, the radio announcement was "can Karen Bevilaqua please come to the bike course and assist Kate Bevilaqua". So, until I crossed the finish line, most thought I had pulled out of the race! Nick, the race director asked as soon as I finished if I have a sister because she was in the medical tent! I wonder if we can use this to our advantage somehow??!!
Unfortunately, yes, I am hobbling around now with a strain to my piriformis! No running in the short term but thankfully cycling and swimming is fine! 
Stay tuned for part 3 and the post race West Aussie domination!!