Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Before the Race - Part 1

After a whirl wind week away I now find myself back in Perth and settling into the normal routine. Sleep, eat, train, eat, sleep, train (you get the picture!) But I will give you a run down of how the week unfolded in a 3 part series!! Before the race, The Race and After the Race! Here is Part 1...
Before the race I spend a  few days in Brisbane with fantastic friends Allanah and Grayson. I was totally spoilt over those couple of days with great food, company, training partners, you name it! Thanks guys for such a fantastic time and I can't wait to see you again! Hopefully sooner rather than later!
I really enjoyed doing a run session and swim session with Grayson, but it was Holly (pictured below!) who I couldn't keep up with! She just run and run and run! That is one way to improve your speed and fitness! My mum had bought a little present for Holly and this was her way of saying Thank You!
The Friday before the race was a rest day for me, so we decided to find something to do away from the resort. We ended up at the local WildLife Park only 15 minutes away and spent the afternoon there. We got to feed the Kangaroos...
I held a lizard and snake or two.....
And although I live in Australia, this was the first time I had held a Koala! It was so cute and was actually falling asleep in my arms. I held it for ages but thank god the ranger eventually came and took her away because she was getting very heavy and my arm was going dead! So cute though and trusting! 
Friday night a group of us West Aussies (Mum, Rita, Ron, Michelle and myself) headed to the local Sailing Club for a good feed. It was a great atmosphere on a Friday night and we could watch the Olympics on T.V., play Keno or a bit of Bingo if we preferred!!
By Saturday I was ready to go and the rest of the Perth crew had arrived. Croc and Ross joined Michelle, Ron and I for a short bike and run, then we ventured down to the ocean for a chilly dip in the sea (it was 16.9 degrees! Not what I was hoping for!)
Lucky we went for our short swim because as I was entering the water my goggles snapped and it was time to get a new pair! Better it happened then and not race morning!
The rest of the day was then based around Carbo Loading, stretching, registration, race briefing and the Past Dinner. It was an early night and I was relaxed, organised and ready to race...!