Thursday, March 5, 2009

A bit of everything!

The last 48 hours for me have incorporated nothing but sleeping, eating and training! Oh, the life of a professional triathlete! 
It has been nice to get in a couple of afternoon naps as they had been missing the last week and have really helped me to get on top of the sessions I have had. So has the Epsom Salt baths! There is nothing better after a long run.
I am sure people think, the life of a professional athlete is a lot more cruisey than it really is, unless you actually know one!
I must admit I did enjoy a lovely family lunch today with mum, nan, aunty janice, uncle neil and daryl at our local hang out of Charisma's. The food is delicious. My pumpkin and feta flan with salad hit the spot after the mornings run.
This is the first time I can actually claim to being a full time professional athlete! I was working until the end of last year lecturing, teaching, always finding something to do. But not at the moment. But I have found plenty of things to fill in the gaps including more massage (Thanks Tony Bence!) Acupuncture (Thanks to Niki) and Sleep!! (Thanks to my Kin Size Bed!)
Enough about me, I could write without mentioning another awesome achievement by Miss Rebecca Halliday in her short cycling career. The girl is on fire! She was just selected in the national talent I.D. squad and will be off to Melbourne in a few weeks for a training camp and more testing with the big girls! Everyone else had better watch out, this girl is on the move! 
It is also a great opportunity to wish all the best to the West Aussie's racing in New Zealand this Saturday. Croc, Ron, Jason and everyone else have been training hard and it looks like the sun will be shinning for a fantastic day.
Yes, I would absolutely love to be there! That race, the location, the people, all hold a special place in my heart for me. Beside the fact everyone was so friendly and welcoming, I had my best race ever there and would love to be going to back. But the reality was, there was just not enough time. I need the extra 4 weeks that Ironman Australia allows to get enough fitness back to be able to complete an Ironman. Going back to NZ I want to be on top of my game. Not just there to make up numbers. Next year, my time will come! For now I will be cheering on Charlotte and Nicole as they tackle our trans tasman rivals in one of the oldest Ironman's on the circuit.