So, the little groin niggle I had. No problems, I was beginning to walk better and having treatment on it regularly. After about 4 or 5 days we decided to get a cortisone injection, speed up the healing and get a few runs in before the race.
I was booked in to see Gerard Taylor, sports doctor for the Eagles, someone who knows his stuff. After some prodding and probing before injecting the needle he changed his mind. He was not going to give it to me!
"Why not?"
"Because I am 80% certain it is not a muscle strain but a stress fracture"
"No your not?"
"I am sorry, yes I am!"
"You can't be serious! I have a race I am so ready for in a weeks time, this is not happening!"
"A bone scan will confirm!"
I left his office for the reception where my sister in law Robbie actually works and as I approached the tears began to swell. She saw me coming and said "Oh No! Don't cry, you will make me cry!"
I was out of there!
The drive home was the longest ever as I cried the entire way and did all the "why me!" "I am doing everything I should be" "this can't be happening!" "I am ready to race on Sunday!"
Lucky for me the support of my family and friends is unbelievable!
I came home straight into my mum's arms and dad followed soon after.
Obviously the bone scan revealed the next day what I was expecting. I was holding on for that dear 20% hope but it was not to be. The doctor reading the scan told me straight away and was kind enough to let me know we got it early and the prognosis should be 6 - 8 weeks. This made me feel a little bit better.
On the way home this time instead of crying a made a stop at the local shop and bought myself a Chocolate Bar! This also made me grin a little bit!
So there you have it! No Port Macquarie for Kate this weekend.
The most frustrating thing beside the obvious is the fact that I had done everything, completed the program, worked hard, 6 hour bike rides, long run, began tapering and even begun to pack. I was too organised for my own good!
So what did I do over the last few days? I unpacked!!
I have a meeting with a specialist in the next hour to hopefully get to the bottom of this and prevent anything like it happening again. I am sure there are more things I can be doing and I am going to do them!
I have moved on from being angry, sad, mad, and emotional and am looking forward again now although I know I will still have my moments.
Getting healthy and fit again is my number one priority as I focus on Ironman Canada.
I read a saying yesterday that "Brick wall are placed in front of us to stop those who don't want it badly enough!"
Well, no brick wall is stopping me! I want it badly enough and will continue to work towards my goal of top 10 Hawaii. One day at a time!
Thankyou so much to all my friends (Kerry, Shannon, Bec, Nat, Michelle, Barry, Julie, Neil) who have been so supportive and an ear to listen to my complaints! My sponsors who believe in me and I feel honoured to be part of there team in particular K-Swiss, Nunn, GU, Novatron, Orca, Ryders.
And of course my family, mum, dad, blake, robbie, michael, ang, ella, nate, wesley, janice, neil and nan you create such a positive environment for me it is hard to be down for too long. I could not do it without you and love you guys so much!
Onwards and Upwards!