Saturday morning was a nice flat ride and I had heard on the grapevine the guys were riding to Mandurah so I thought I would tag along for some of the way and turn around and ride home on my own.
After leaving early I met Mark along Shelley foreshore so I joined him for the ride to the Raffles. Once there, I was surprised by the increase in number of those who have decided it is time to get serious for one reason or another. Before long we were on our way in the pitch black, some with great lights, others with none at all!
The freeway bike path is hard enough to negotiate some times during the day let alone when it is dark so it was not surprising that sure enough a bike coming the other way caused a few jumps in the group, some into the sand and unfortunately Ron to take a tumble. The only one to go down with Ironman New Zealand only a week away. Isn't that always the way!
Lucky he was okay and continued to ride with the group while my plan changed. I rode with Croc until he turned around then continued solo before meeting another cyclist. We rode together for a while before I made my way back home for breakfast and a nap before swimming training.
Later that night I attended the "Free the Bears" gala auction and dinner with friends and family. The aim, to raise as much money as possible to free the Sun Bears who are more commonly referred to "Dancing Bears"! They are treated cruelly all of the name of entertainment! The night was a great success but a late one by my standards. Finally by midnight I was asleep at my brother Blakes house because his place was 30 mins closer to my time trial the next morning which hopefully allowed me to get more sleep!
6am and we were both up, Blake off for a surf and I for a time trial. 46km, 6 laps, and a very humid morning, but I was happy with the outcome and how I felt. At least I got to finish this one unlike my power test last Thursday.
Straight back in the car, I had packed an esky with recovery food and drink to have on the way as I began the 4 hour drive to Margaret River. Why? You may ask! I had a wedding at 5pm!
My girlfriend Natalie Bowden from highschool was getting married at a Winery and I just had enough time to drive to our house in Gnarabup, jump in the shower, get changed and drive to the winery. I made it with 5 minutes to spare, yah!
Come Monday morning, I did enjoy a bit of a sleep in and didn't leave for my ride until after 7am. The wind and the rain were also holding me back, but one started it wasn't so bad and the ride towards Augusta on Caves road is always spectacular!
So now finally I am back home and have begun what is the last 2 really hard weeks before I taper for Ironman Oz. Just about there!
Meanwhile, my brother Michael and his family are off to Hawaii tomorrow for 2 weeks holiday, I asked if I could fit in their suitcase but with 2 kids in tow they didn't particularly want another one!!
It is not even 6pm yet but it is time for dinner and bed very shortly after. I need my zzzzzz's!