Monday, March 23, 2009

Catching Up

It's great at this time of the program because I find myself with more time! Actually, even more than I expected now that I can't run! But hopefully by the end of the week that will change. After Saturday's emotional outburst I limped my way to dinner on Saturday night with great friends Kerry and Shannon. It was such a gorgeous night, we watched the sunset over the ocean and enjoyed a yummy meal and even some icecream! Kerry and Shannon are going to be traveling to Canada in August to compete in Ironman Canada. The first Ironman for both of them and I plan on doing the same one as well, so it will be a fun trip.
I have also found time to hopefully improve my cooking skills. I really do love to cook or most of my family and friends will probably not believe me, but just find I am too tired and just can't be bothered by the end of the day and stick with what I love and know best. But I did venture out recently and made a delicious vegetable fritata, (if I do say so myself!). If I could get mum and dad to eat it then it obviously wasn't that bad, although maybe they just didn't want to hurt my feelings! Anyway, I liked it and enjoyed it for a few days afterwards as well.
Sunday was the annual Freeway Bike ride here in Perth. It is the official beginning of Bike Week, where everything to do with bikes is cool. They close the freeway for the opportunity to ride in a 60km, 30km or 10km event and 9,000 cyclists took part on Sunday. That is some drafting! I didn't do the ride, but my youngest brother who does ride a bike for 364 days of the year, jumped on my mountain bike and rode the 30km with his friend Trevor. Meanwhile, his wife Robbie and I caught the train to the finish line and met them for a delicious breakfast before we all returned back to the city. It was a nice way to spend my Sunday morning and a little strange not be training.
Trevor, Robbie and Blake at the end of the bike ride.
It was a carnival atmosphere everywhere and great to see so many people taking to two wheels. The more of us out there the better!
Today I hit the pool with the squad this morning but complete the entire session with a pool buoy, the leg didn't hurt as much that way. I also had acupuncture this afternoon and hot cold treatment all day. I am doing everything I can. It does feel alot better today but I am sure after the physio visit tomorrow and the deep tissue massage I will be limping around again. But all in the name of recovery. At least there is one thing I can guarantee, I will be well rested and ready to race by next Sunday!
Happy Wedding Anniversary to Mum and Dad for tomorrow! 36 years married and still going strong. If they can survive both my brothers and I then there is nothing stopping them now!
Love you both very much! xx