Monday, March 9, 2009

Checking In!

Just a quick post to let you know I am still around, just hanging in there, maybe limping a bit (no injuries) just very sore muscles as I tackle my last "big" week of training before I begin my taper. I can't wait!
Actually maybe I can! That normal taper feeling isn't the best either until about a few days before the race. Feeling slow and sluggish. I can't win!
I taper for roughly 3 weeks before an Ironman. I will finish this massive week off with the City of Perth Olympic Distance Triathlon on Sunday with whatever the body has left then anjoy a full weeks recovery the following week. After that it will be 2 weeks of short and sharp speed work to keep the muscles firing and then Ironman Australia! Yah!
It was so exciting following Ironman New Zealand on the weekend. What an awesome race! Cameron Brown is such a legend and although Joanna Lawn was beaten only just by Gina Ferguson on the day, they pushed each other all the way. Two exceptional athletes. Charlotte flew the Aussie flag coming in third with a blistering run. I will need to get some tips from her for running so fast.
Congatulations to Sandgropers Ron and Croc for there races. Ron won his age group and is off to Hawaii. Croc, although didn't have the day he would have liked, knows how much stronger he is and how he has improved. His day will come!
So what has my Monday involved? This morning for the first time in a long time I actually woke up by the alarm! Normally I am awake 5 or 10 minutes before the alarm goes off, ready to go, hopefully a little fresh. When the alarm went off this morning I thought I was dreaming. Not a good start. 5am, up, out the door by 5.15am eating toast and vegemite on the way to swimming training. 4km's of swimming inlcuding a few 50m sprints which I ended up doing with a band due to fatigue in the legs. Shower, home, breakfast, then onto the Compi for 3 1/2 hours of cycling. After a long warm up the session included a few efforts at Ironman race pace. I watched sunrise, the morning show, then onto the midday movie before finally finishing. Shower, lunch, time for a quick hour nap.
Woke up, drive to acupuncture, have a few hundred needles put in my body (well not quite that many, but there were alot). Home, eat again, and now I find myself checking e-mails and preparing for a couple of Triathlon presentations I have at schools this week.
It has been a busy day, but I loved it! I felt like achieved what I wanted to and will sleep well tonight, ready to do it all again tomorrow. Obviously different training sessions will be involved.
With 36 degrees tomorrow, I will be up nice and early for my run to avoid the heat but enjoy the magnificent sunrise!
Goodnight!