Saturday, March 21, 2009

Frustration!

I am totally frustrated at the moment! (and no it is not for the reason you may be thinking!?). I find myself again in unknown territory, or what I would like to call a "forced taper!". With only 2 weeks to go before Ironman Australia it is taper time anyway, so the volume has decreased quite considerably, but I didn't expect to not be doing any running at all!
What do you mean, you may ask?
Well, this is a brief history of the last few days.
Thursday enjoyed a lovely run through Margaret River. After not running since the race on Sunday I was a little tight but after 10-15 minutes this was all gone and I was enjoying the trails and sun slowly rising. Back home, stretch, Epsom salt bath, feed and a relaxing day with a swim in the afternoon. 
Friday, early morning swim with the masters group, lazily packed my bags and began the 3 1/2 hour drive back to Perth.
Early night before getting up at 4.30am on Saturday morning to meet the guys for the raffles ride. I was beginning to feel quite good during the ride and the body was returning to normal after the sluggish week. Turned around at the bottom of Albany highway hill as I only had a short flat ride and headed back to Mt Henry with Liam before riding along Shelley Foreshore home.
Home nice and early, thought I would fix my lock laces on my race shoes for the Ironman and test them out for a 5 - 10 minute run up the street.
Began to run... feeling a little tight in the groin...continued running....getting a little worse....kept running....ouch I can't run anymore!! Walk home!
Rang physio straight away, "Help, you must see me now, I need to run a marathon in 2 weeks!"
Thanks to Mike I was in by 12pm, diagnosed with a mild adductor strain, treated and home by 1pm. Limping a little bit after the pain of treatment but feeling better because we are confident all will be fine!
No running until the end of next week, plenty of treatment and it will be full steam ahead! 
After a desperate chat to Coach Budgie, I was reminded all the hard work was done and nothing I do in the next couple of weeks is going to make much of a difference. Getting to the start line healthy and injury free is the number one priority so I will deal with that first.
I must have been having an emotional afternoon because then it was on to the phone to my brother telling him how excited I am about racing Ironman Australia, but honestly I was scared. Why? Because of the expectations we tend to put on ourselves. I know everyone just wants to see me race again and get through unscathed and that is my biggest concern as well. But typical competitive athletes, we want more! Times, positions, podiums, qualifications we just want it all! The fears and thoughts going through my mind are no different to the athlete who is completing an Ironman for the first time hoping to finish in under that magical 17 hour mark. They are bench marks we set ourselves, and in the end, don't want to be disappointed.
Thanks Michael, for reminding me it is a journey, not the destination. It is a road I love traveling and if this stop does not have what I am looking for then I will just continue driving and enjoy smelling the roses along the way!