Sunday, April 12, 2009

Camp Nyamup

After facing the traffic on Thursday afternoon, which actually wasn't that bad I was the first to arrive at our training camp location on Thursday afternoon. Cottages located in the middle of no where with fantastic hill riding and great trail running all around (although I promise I didn't do any of that!) I was first to pick my bunk and find a place in the fridge for my food before Hannah, Winton and Jess had arrived. I thought I was organised but these guys set the gold standard. I learnt more than a thing or two in the first night.
Hannah, Winton and I enjoyed a rolling 2 hour ride Friday morning and checked out the roads and local sorroundings. It is a perfect spot for some solid training and I would have loved to be staying for the entire weekend, but family duties called.
Friday morning (well more like lunch time) the rest of the gang began to arrive. Debra, Clayton, Mike, Judi, Janet, Nat, Andrew, Rachael, Scott. Some arrived and went straight for a run on the trails but thankfully they waited a little while because Hannah had not returned from her run that should have been just over an hour. 2 hours later she made it back and was able to explain the best way for the rest of them to take.
A relaxing afternoon followed with plenty of wine, Bundies for some, and great company. The guitar even came out later on in the night and some singing eventuated. But you know what they say, what happens (and is said) on camp stays on camp.
I have some great photo's but you will have to wait until I get back to Perth for those and for Rachael and Hannah to send some through.
Saturday morning after some showers over night it was a perfect morning for a ride and we were on our way to Northcliffe for a hilly 90km's, with a coffee stop, mandatory according to Hannah. It was 6.30am ready for a 6.45am leave. At 6.30am I asked Clayton if he was dressed and ready to go as he stood there dressed in his grey tracksuit pants, or was it his pyjama's? It was such a scenic ride and great to be in a different location enjoying the tall trees, brisk morning and just the company of fantastic people. It was one of those moments where you stop and smell the roses and are completely thankful for where you are and what you can do. Plus, I was with a group of people who I knew but honestly did not realise how much fun they all were and how much we had in common. It was great!
The race was on during the return trip cycling to Cottage One to see who could have a shower first but alas all was in vain when we realised Winton had the key who was in the sag wagon in the middle of "who know's where?". We had to wait for his return and by then so had everyone else!
There were too many stories to exchange any way once everyone came back so we all just stunk together, although some a little longer than others!
The day and the weekend then took another turn for me but I will finish that off with instalment number two tomorrow, for now the sun is setting over Gnarabup Beach and it is drinks on the balcony with mum, dad, peter and chris to celebrate the long weekend!
Happy Easter