This weekend I know I need to keep myself occupied to take my mind off what I would rather be doing. So instead of hanging around at home I am enjoying the sun and the surf of margaret river which has become my second home in the last couple of months. The days have been fantastic with not a cloud in the sky (quite a contrast I hear to the rain in Port Macquarie!) and we are lucky this weekend as the Margaret River Pro Surfing Classic is on. I can watch it from the balcony of our beach house with the binoculars and see some of the best surfers in the world doing there thing. Dad and I are going to grab the mountain bikes and ride down to the event for a closer look this afternoon. The womens final is on today and the men are tomorrow.
I have tried surfing a few times. I remember doing it in highschool for PE studies and a number of times when we have had family vacations to Hawaii, my younger brother blake always hires a Mal and convinces me to come and join him. We have so much fun because we can both stand on there at the same time. But other than that, I just haven't been able to get into it. I guess I would rather be swimming, cycling or running. Which is exactly what I did this morning! Well, went for a swim anyway, the only thing I can do at the moment but much better than not being able to do anything!
I am walking normal now and can kick while swimming. Two great signs. I am just about pain free but there is still a tenderness and tightness in the groin every now and then as a reminder not to do anthing stupid. Two weeks gone already of not running, how many more to go?
I caught up with those racing this weekend in Ironman Australia, and wish all the best to Michelle Downs, Mark, Boyes and Michelle, Romano and Liam who I have all trained with leading up to the event and know will have fantastic days!
It is going to be an awesome weekend of racing with Ironman Australia, Ironman South Africa, California 70.3 and New Orleans 70.3. Take your pick, there are some fantastic athletes at all of them and a sign that the season has well and truly begun!
Time for lunch, an afternoon nap and then a quality beach session.