Firstly, congratulations to Charlotte Paul and Amanda Balding for their awesome racing in China on the weekend. The conditions seemed incredible again, and Charlotte's blistering run time gave her the much deserved win, congratulations girl!
Amanda, fellow K-Swiss athlete came through with the victory in the 70.3 race held on the same day and Luke was second in the men behind Macca. What a great day for the Aussies!
For me the weekend was a social one and now I am paying the price, but not for the reason you may think.
Saturday morning I was still in Margaret River and woke up to enjoy a nice 3 hour ride and breakfast on the balcony as it was my last time there before I head for the USA. It was then a 40 minute drive to Dunsborough where I met up with Nat, Lisa, Sean and Megs for Luana and Tim's wedding. It was a gorgeous ceremony at Bunker Bay with the sun setting and the waves rolling in behind the bride and the groom. From there a bus took everyone to the reception at Claroiult Winery for delicious food, wine and dancing. It was a fantastic atmosphere and very entertaining watching everyone on the dance floor. I decided against joining them, didn't want to do any damage to the stress fracture, would prefer to save that for the cycling!
After a late night for me, 1am!! I was first to sleep but as the body clock goes, first to get up just after am. Nat woke shortly after and we grabbed our wetsuits for an open water swim at Meelup beach. We were surprised when we got there to see at least half a dozen other's there but then we realised they all had camera's and were ready to catch some unbelievable shots of the sunrise. We waited as we watched it and had one of those moments you will remember for ever! Seize the day!
Wetsuits on, a short shock to the system and we were on our way, before ouch! A small stinger got me on the nose! No big deal, swim on! Then bang, bang, bang! We must have swum through an entire school of them and my entire face and neck was stinging. No way, I am not going any further. It was backstroke into the shore as I didn't want to put my face back in the water. I didn't think much more of it as the sting slowly started to go away but I was left with some nice welts!
The 3 1/2 drive back to Perth followed and I had just enough time to get changed and jump in the car with dad to go and see the Eagles post there second win of the season and an upset victory over the undefeated Bulldogs.
Fast forward to bed time last night and the face and neck were becoming very itchy, the welts were getting bigger and I was laying with an icepack on my neck.
There was no sleep happening last night as I was up every hour getting a fresh cold cloth to put on my neck to stop the itching and tried to get every little bit of sleep I could. After waking at 4am and contemplating going swimming, I was glad I didn't as I have been told the chlorine would have made the allergic reacting worse and to give it a couple of days to go away.
So no swimming, no water running, and no sleep! Oh well, never a dull moment!
I have nice red welts around the bottom of my neck and 2 lovely tentacle stands down either side of my face! HA HA!
I am now going shopping instead!