Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Peaceful Warrior

Some of you may have heard of this movie or even read the associated book "Way of the Peaceful Warrior". It is funny how things can just pop into your life at the time when they are most needed. I had heard of both the book and movie before and had been interested to be one of the millions around the world who had embarked on the journey of the Peaceful Warrior but never pursued it. 
Last week, while spending the week in Margaret River, Nat was working away on his lap top and I collapsed in front of the T.V. with a drink to see what was on. Flicking through the movie channels up it came, the Peaceful Warrior was just beginning. I was entranced. I sat and watched not moving an inch, except when Nat came into the T.V. room to ask what I was watching but I ended up telling him it was too difficult to explain, he would have to watch it himself. 
The tale is based on the true story of Dan Millman who despite his success as a college student and world champion athlete,  was haunted by a feeling that something was missing in his life. He begins a spiritual journey to answer that age old question "life's larger meaning and purpose" and to discover how to become a peaceful warrior and live in the moment. 
In the movie he was often asked "where are you now?" and his response would be, at the shops, or driving the car, having a shower! When really all he needed to say every time was "I am in the moment"
It came at a perfect time for me as I cross off days and weeks, and count down the sleeps until I may possibly be injury free, my stress fracture would be healed and I could run again and return 100% to what I love. But it should not be like that! I should not be like that! 
Watching that movie I realised what a waste! What a waste of each day, of each sunrise and sunset. I should be living every moment, be in every moment, not doing something, but thinking about something else. I need to become one of those peaceful warriors.
It is no surprise then to hear that I went out and bought the book after watching the movie and am learning something new with every chapter I read. 
If you are after some motivation or inspiration (hey, why not leading into the Busso Half Ironman) or just feel like you need that reminder that anything is possible, then grab a bucket of popcorn, a group of close friends and the movie "Peaceful Warrior" and realise how much more you can get out of life!
For now I gotta go as I have prepared a feast for my brother and his wife for dinner and I am going to enjoy every bite of dinner and the time with my family!