Friday, May 22, 2009

Lesson Learnt!

This morning there is no other way to describe it except I was "chewed up and spat out!' on my first long ride in Boise! And you know what the funny thing is? I was riding solo! 
Last night I was all fired up and ready to take on one of the most spectacular rides close to Boise and that is the round trip to Idaho City and back. 
I normally do my long ride on the weekend but with the public holiday this weekend in the USA for memorial day the roads would be busy with campers and holiday makers so today was the day. I was well prepared with all the directions written down thanks to Hortie and Kevin (who I am living with)  the nutrition was all sorted and the alarm set.
6am and the sun was just coming up and I was on my way. I had been warned of what seems like a head wind all the way out and the constant climbing. Sure, no problems, all part of the challenge. I was also told to prepare because it can be a little bit chilly as you climb and due to alot of the ride being in and out of valley's. So the beanie, toe warmers, arms warmers, long sleeve top and jacket were all on before I headed out the door.
So things we fine to start off with. Yep, the head wind was strong, but makes for a great work out the cross wind was a little scary as "Casper" and I together probably don't weigh all that much compared to the guys. The climbs were awesome, I love to climb, the descending, well, we just won't go there!
So what was the problem, you ask?
It got colder and colder and colder. I was thinking it was okay, I will warm up as the sun comes up and as I continue to work hard. I have been cold before, the numb fingers, toes, it eventually goes away. But this was getting worse and worse and worse. Was I a wimp? Probably, but I honestly have never felt this cold before. The whole body began to shake, I had no control over my fingers and hands, so were struggling to change gears or use the breaks. The sun was no where to be seem and for the first time ever I felt as if I could not go any further and it was not due to "bonking". What was I going to do?
I took my phone out of my pocket to ring my mum or dad who are here for a week hoping they may be able to rescue me, but no service! What choice did I have to turn around and try and make it back. I stopped briefly another 3 times to try and call someone, but still no service. In the end this may have been a blessing in disguise. 
I made it back to Boise and down town, where the sun was shinning and slowly after 3 hours I was beginning to have some sensation back in the body. 
I rode past where I am living and as tempted as I was to go straight inside and have a shower, I reminded myself my goal for the day had been a 5 hour hill cycle and there was still 2 hours to go. So onward and upward I went but on the sunning side of town. 
Today's ride was more than just about the km's (or should I say miles!) in the bank. I learnt a number of things including:
1 - I need to wear way more clothes on that ride, including thermals!!
2 - I still finished what I started! Even though there were so many times I was even thinking about thumbing a lift to take me back 
3 - Boise is Beautiful! The scenery is stunning. Downtown is less than 5 minutes from my place and everyone is so friendly!! 

Now, it is time to defrost with a long hot shower before meeting mum and dad for some lunch and a visit to a winery before an after swim with John. 
Who knows what tomorrow might bring?