Sunday, May 3, 2009

What a weekend!

It has been all "go go go" this last weekend and I have loved every minute of it. Well, just about every minute, the Eagles could have done me a little bit of a favour by winning the derby but no, they had to stick to tradition and lose to the Dockers! What were they thinking!!
Anyway, enough of that, Saturday as the Busselton Half Ironman and over 1500 athletes took part in our final event of the season. It is such a great day and I am so glad I eventually decided to swim in a team with Sandra and Jan. It was great to be involved but I would have loved so much more to be doing the entire race. Next year, I will be on that start line.
Congratulations to Charlotte and Luke who both had stella races to come away with victories. Luke broke the course record and Charlotte had won Ironman China only 2 weeks ago!!
It was also an exciting day for me as Kerry (pictured below) was competing in the Half and I coached her! Yah! She had a few set backs leading into the race but ended up having a fantastic day and now I embark on coaching my first athlete for an Ironman! Kerry is racing Ironman Canada in August and I can't wait to be with here every step of the way.
Kate and Kez ready to go at the swim start. I am so in love with my new Orca wetsuit! I had the best swim ever and with more hard work in the water (thanks to Nat!) things are looking up!
Hannah, kate and Rachael, at the swim start. Thank you so much to Hannah, Winton and Jess for allowing me to stay in their fantastic house in Busso. It was in the best location and great to sleep in a bed rather on the floor like I had originally planned.
Kez and Kate, we were best friends in high school and it is great to be seeing so much more of her now. We parted ways for a few years but it didn't take long to get back on track. 
Hannah's bike all ready to race! I love this set up and the flowers look great! If you want any tricks of the trade she is the girl! I learnt more than a thing or two on the weekend which I am going to put into practice in the USA. Including spraying that stuff, you know where!
I couldn't finish the blog without mentioning cousin Wez!! He rang me four weeks ago and said "Kate, I want to do the half on 4 weeks training, what do you reckon?" Now, Wez is pretty fit anyway, he swam to Rotto and rides every week, so I said "no problems!" I came up with a "Wez's Hammer Fest" program and he came through. Well, maybe there was a little bit of extended time on the side of the road, but with what he went through the last 4 weeks, the day before, the night before and the morning of the race I think it was a huge effort. And although the Docker's won, I will still call you family Wez!
A big thanks also to Barry and Julie for feeding me and fattening me up before race day, I was only swimming but the food was delicious! I will miss you guys over the next few months but with today's technology I am sure we can find a way for you to send some of your cooking over to the USA!!
Enough banter for one blog, I am tired after the weekend and need to catch up on sleep!