Friday, January 23, 2009

Frustration

Wouldn't it be nice if after every off season, or even if we just chose to have 2 weeks off, when you returned to training you would be performing at the same level you finished off at. I would love it! It would have been great if after nearly 4 months off I returned to training and nothing changed. I was running as quick as before, still had the power in the legs on the bike and my swimming slowly but surely was continuing to improve (not seeming like it is going backwards!) But unfortunately this little thing called reality likes to creep up on us when I would rather it stayed well away.
Training has been going well this week considering the adventures of last weekend, the days to recover and we still had guests and family for the remainder of the week. I probably would have liked to get a bit more sleep than I did, there were few afternoon naps, but I was happy with hitting my targets until today. 
I knew this mornings session was going to hurt. I am still limited with my running and there will be no track work or speed intervals for another few months, so anytime I try and lift the pace it hurts. 
Yeah, I know, it hurts for everyone. But running at this pace never used to hurt so much before. I was able to do it a lot more comfortably than this morning. There would not have usually been a need for me to stop for a desperate "coke" to get me through the last few efforts. But that seemed to be the only way I was getting through it. I am glad I did. I pushed myself that little bit further and hopefully the more I do it the better I will get just like anything else in life!
I am getting excited about my first race since August last year. Finally, on Monday I am going to compete in the Australia Day Triathlon which is a sprint and this will be a real test for the arm and the back. Something at race pace! I am feeling a little nervous, how will I feel after the race? I hope everything is okay? Have I done too much too soon? Who knows? Only time will tell!
For now, I have just enjoyed (well, most of the time!) a massage by Tony Bence to get me past my efforts this morning and ready to hit the hills on the bike tomorrow. An early dinner, a good nights sleep and I will be doing it all again!