Saturday, January 10, 2009

One to go!

I am finally back on my normal training cycle which involves a 2 week hard one week easy (or adaptation) cycle. It is always about now, the second weekend, the long ride and then the brick on the Sunday, when the eyes are just staying open and the body is counting down until Sunday afternoon and the beginning of that easier week. The reality is, I love that feeling! I have missed it so much!
This morning I met the guys at the Raffles for the usual ride and thankfully the pace was quite steady up Albany highway and everyone was able to hang on. Including m, after "special" had forced me to the front on the way out to the bottom of the hill. "You are not going to get any stronger sitting back there!" I know he was right. There were a few surges a long the way with words I wish not to repeat echoing in my head, but the thought of the Brumby's Bakery at the top of Kalamunda was reason enough to keep pushing.
Unfortunately along the way we saw a lade who had come off her bike and was in pretty bad way waiting for an Ambulance. There are some sections along the ride where large honkey nuts are common along the road and can be quite dangerous on the down hills. Rumor has it this is what caused the crash. I hope she is okay.
After refueling at the Bakery with a much needed cold coke and vegemite sandwich we were on our way again. Just before we left it was a great surprise to catch up with Barry and Julie as I hadn't seen them this year yet as both families had been busy entertaining guests over the festive period. Barry kindly invited me to join him for a 8.5km open water swim tomorrow morning but I declined. Wasn't keen on the distance or the prospect of sharks! I am such a wimp at the moment! Swim safely Barry!
Once home I had a few race pace efforts on the Computrainer before a short run on the treadmill. While I was running, hot sweaty and pretty tired by now I was constantly reminding myself, guess what? You are running now! Remember not that long ago when all you wanted to do was run, well you are doing it! Be thankful that you are! And I totally was!
But John, if you are reading this.... I was totally knackered!!
I am enjoying now sitting in front of the T.V. watching The Amazing Race on Foxtel and looking forward to another great nights sleep!
The fun will continue tomorrow not only with a lovely brick in the morning but I keep forgetting about this little thing called a Wedding we have in a week! The rehearsal is tomorrow afternoon and it is also my brother's birthday so a special dinner at the Witch's Cauldron will top off another 38 degree day!